• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Airat1995

OpenGL Vulkan or OpenGL ES or OpenGL

This topic is 681 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I understand that questions like mine was asked billion times, but I need some elaboration. I'm learning in the university and this is last year of bachelor degree learning. I must write some graduation work I want to write my own render framework (I know this maybe hard for one person, but I want :D) But I dont know what lib to choose. I saw some Vulkan videos and run it on my own PC, it was awesome ( but Dota 2 so laggy :( ) I right now learn OpenGL by this  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321773039/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

P.S.: If you know some better theme linked with game development please write below.

Advertisement

Well, first of all OpenGL and openGL ES are pretty much the same thing, with the exception that OpenGL ES is targeted at mobile devices (ES stands for Embedded Systems).

Now for choosing between OpenGL and Vulkan.

OpenGL is very popular,and has been around for a long time now, so you won't have much of a problem finding resources about how to use it.

Vulkan however, if I may put it this way, is the future of OpenGL (and, perhaps, of graphics API in general).

This means, however, that it not only has fewer resources available (since it is pretty recent), but also that it is harder to program, because, unlike other APIs (OpenGL or DirectX), you have (mostly) full responsability of ensuring that everything works correctly (whereas other APIs are more lenient, in that they will not only manage graphics memory for you, but also ensure that your graphics card never crashes your application, etc).

I like to think of the difference between the two as somewhat like a managed language (say, C#) and C++.

C++ will allow you to do pretty much anything you want, even if it is detrimental/dangerous/etc to your application, whereas C# (or other similar managed languages) will be safer to program in, at the expense of limiting what you can do.

So, in my opinion, I'd advise you to learn OpenGL first, again, mainly because it has the most resources available, and also because it is the easier of the two to learn.

Do note that, regardless of what API you choose, most of the things you'll learn will still apply to the other APIs, so it's not time wasted by any means.

Now for resources.

For Vulkan, right here on GameDev you have a topic about Vulkan resources. You can find it here.

There's also a pretty nice article, also right here on GameDev. You can find it here.

For OpenGL, here's a few:

http://learnopengl.com/

http://www.opengl-tutorial.org

http://ogldev.atspace.co.uk

And of course, you can find many helpful stuff right here on GameDev, both in the forums and in the articles section.

You can also find tons of OpenGL tutorials on Google, so if you get a bit more curious, try it. These are a nice start though.

Well, as a last thing, though somewhat unrelated to your question, there's this.

GPU Gems are books that were published back in the day, and are now free to read on NVIDIAs website. 

I know that it doesn't quite relate to your question about APIs (or OpenGL/Vulkan specifically, for that matter), but I just thought I'd share it, because it contains many awesome techniques/stuff about graphics rendering, many of them used in actual commercial games.

Even if you won't need it for your project, it's always a nice read, and a good way to learn about rendering in general (and not-so-general) so, if you get curious, give it a try.

Hope it helps.

Edited by __SKYe

If it's for your thesis and you really want to do something impressive, why don't you make a software renderer? All what you learn with that is API independent and pretty useful to understand how things work.

If it's for your thesis and you really want to do something impressive, why don't you make a software renderer? All what you learn with that is API independent and pretty useful to understand how things work.

I think it will be very hard, and I want to learn that I will use in future. 

Well, first of all OpenGL and openGL ES are pretty much the same thing, with the exception that OpenGL ES is targeted at mobile devices (ES stands for Embedded Systems).

Now for choosing between OpenGL and Vulkan.

OpenGL is very popular,and has been around for a long time now, so you won't have much of a problem finding resources about how to use it.

Vulkan however, if I may put it this way, is the future of OpenGL (and, perhaps, of graphics API in general).

This means, however, that it not only has fewer resources available (since it is pretty recent), but also that it is harder to program, because, unlike other APIs (OpenGL or DirectX), you have (mostly) full responsability of ensuring that everything works correctly (whereas other APIs are more lenient, in that they will not only manage graphics memory for you, but also ensure that your graphics card never crashes your application, etc).

I like to think of the difference between the two as somewhat like a managed language (say, C#) and C++.

C++ will allow you to do pretty much anything you want, even if it is detrimental/dangerous/etc to your application, whereas C# (or other similar managed languages) will be safer to program in, at the expense of limiting what you can do.

So, in my opinion, I'd advise you to learn OpenGL first, again, mainly because it has the most resources available, and also because it is the easier of the two to learn.

Do note that, regardless of what API you choose, most of the things you'll learn will still apply to the other APIs, so it's not time wasted by any means.

Now for resources.

For Vulkan, right here on GameDev you have a topic about Vulkan resources. You can find it here.

There's also a pretty nice article, also right here on GameDev. You can find it here.

For OpenGL, here's a few:

http://learnopengl.com/

http://www.opengl-tutorial.org

http://ogldev.atspace.co.uk

And of course, you can find many helpful stuff right here on GameDev, both in the forums and in the articles section.

You can also find tons of OpenGL tutorials on Google, so if you get a bit more curious, try it. These are a nice start though.

Well, as a last thing, though somewhat unrelated to your question, there's this.

GPU Gems are books that were published back in the day, and are now free to read on NVIDIAs website. 

I know that it doesn't quite relate to your question about APIs (or OpenGL/Vulkan specifically, for that matter), but I just thought I'd share it, because it contains many awesome techniques/stuff about graphics rendering, many of them used in actual commercial games.

Even if you won't need it for your project, it's always a nice read, and a good way to learn about rendering in general (and not-so-general) so, if you get curious, give it a try.

Hope it helps.

Thank you for the answer. I hope it will help to me.

Edited by Airat1995

If you're new to GPU programming, start with D3D11 or OpenGL3 or OpenGL4.

If you want to demonstrate low-level GPU programming techniques, use Vulkan or D3D12.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!