Computer understands your text and is able to speak back

Started by
34 comments, last by Minsc&Boo 7 years, 6 months ago
Whoa, I know I've been dismissive lately focusing on the suggestion to include punctuation but I'm disagreeing with this forum exclusively. Sorry about my stubbiness this does hinder me sometimes. With more focus on the main thing I'm against, I want to attempt to teach my AI to understand without punctuation. thank you all for this suggestion, and other bit of info that will contribute to my research.

Ignoring punctuation is just plain silly, what could you achieve by doing so?

Like I mentioned before, punctuation is important because it gives us similar abilities to speech.

No punctuation:

NPC: Hi what do you like

Player: I like cooking cats and my friends

Punctuation:

NPC: Hi, what do you like?

Player: I like cooking, cats and my friends.

Notice how the punctuation changed both the meaning and the character of the words.

When talking we can say a list of objects and the other person will understand because of the tempo and pauses, when we write there is only a constant tempo so we need indicators of what is going on.

The only way not to use punctuation, is to use speech, that I wouldn't recommend starting with if this is your first AI.

Even with all the companies using speech speech recognition software, there still isn't one that can understand every person that speaks to it.

Advertisement
Here's a book recommendation to gain some appreciation for punctuation: https://www.amazon.com/Eats-Shoots-Leaves-Tolerance-Punctuation/dp/1592402038

Very interesting subject, I actually want to do the same thing as you since a while back, with the aim to contribute in making possible procedural dialogues in medieval-fantastic rpgs, we can work together on this if you want?

Very interesting subject, I actually want to do the same thing as you since a while back, with the aim to contribute in making possible procedural dialogues in medieval-fantastic rpgs, we can work together on this if you want?

I'm painfully busy and I only have time to plan which is what I like to do before I code anything. We can trade blows conceptually but I won't execute anything for a while. Currently the method I going to use to enable AI to understand is looking for specific words and their placement from left to right. Using the info they obtained they will generation a value that represent what the player intentions are and how they should respond. Based on what vocabulary I want them to have at the time they'll place words from left to right that represents what their intention is.

Examlpe:

Player: "Do you know which way is Myres Town"

The AI will see the word "Do" and assume a question or order is being asked. On the second word "you" the AI will assume a question is being asked. Words and their usage from left to right will influence what the AI assumes. Each word will have a set of attribute values. My goal is to narrow down what the player means with each word using these values and their placement.Generating the response however is a sequence of things the AI intents to accomplish.

This is all I have for now with is in my head, I'll get serious around the winter and draw diagrams and finally midway thru spring it will time to execute the ideas.

Do note that this is trivially breakable already.

I will prevail, my diagrams I make over the winter have never failed me.

Check out what text adventure parsers can handle, and compare that with your ideas. It might save you a winter of drawing diagrams to re-invent such a parser.

Instead, you might be able to draw diagrams how to improve on that.

Why is that I don't needs to say these symbols in my speech to communicate?

Because in speech, you have things like pitch and tempo that encode this information.

So you actually DO have, and need, these symbols in your speech. Speech is more then words.

You say them implicitly by changing pitch and tempo of the sentence.

I will prevail, my diagrams I make over the winter have never failed me.

While you are probably wrong in this particular instance, I have to say I love the attitude. :)

I'll get serious around the winter and draw diagrams and finally midway thru spring it will time to execute the ideas.

Winter is for drawing, while spring is for executing.

Summer and fall is for idle discussions on a message board.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement