• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

...I wanna use bitmaps for height mapping

This topic is 5897 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I read through the NeHe tutorial, and I noticed that it uses .raw files for the height map. Does ANYONE know where a tutorial is on using bitmaps for height mapping!? I did all that I could to the code to make it work with bmps, no luck. Or, would someone kindly show me a modded version of the code with this support, or at least show me a program that can make .raw files that will work with the tutorial program? Thank you, and please do hurry.

Advertisement
Any good paint program can export RAW files. Download Paint Shop Pro, it has support for RAW files among many others.

It''s actually quite simple to use a bitmap for a heightmap!
If you can use bitmaps for textures you can user bitmaps for heightmaps! *heh..*

Just use the function you use to load the bitmap for textures, bot instead you using it for a texture you use it for a heightmap!

------bitmap.x---
|
|
|
|
|Bitmap.z

And user Bitmap.y for heights!

As simple as that....

- -- ---[XaOs]--- -- -

[ project fy ]

Xaos doesnt mention that you only need 1 of the three rgb colors for the height at that point. You could modify a bitmap loader so that after it reads in the bitmap, it copies only 1 of the rgb colors into a new array, which then can be saved into a texture, thereby saving you some space.

GQ : I didn''t mention it because then it wouldn''t be that simple anymore! !!!

But i have done this myself, just to save some space!
he he...

Take Care!

- -- ---[XaOs]--- -- -

[ project fy ]

• Advertisement