• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ErnieDingo

Unity Migrating C# .NET app to use UWP framework.

This topic is 770 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

HI All,

I have been coding my game in Visual Studio Express for a while.  I'm going to be moving to VS Community today, I would also like to start using UWP projects rather than the current .NET project I am using.

I'm thinking that I will start a separate project, and migrate my code base across.  The application is in C# and uses SharpDX wrapper.

For UWP, just wondering what I should be looking out for and should understand before diving into this.  The reason for my move is to be able to run the game eventually on the XBox Platform.  I also believe there are benefits like .NET native as well and a number of other benefits in just moving.

Any advice prior to this would be helpful.  I'm digging through the mountain of information anyway, and I am sure I will be able to deal with any issue in the migration.  Any info to short circuit time frames then I would be very grateful.

Otherwise, I will post back my experiences on the migration process.  It could be very painless, or very painful.  Hope for the latter.

Advertisement

You are on the right lines. Start a new project and then start to pull in your code. One of the main areas that could bite you is file manipulation are you are moving to a protected file system where you only have access to your projects directory and also directories that the user gives you access to. 

As long as you code is well structured that should not bite you too much and the changes will be limited.

Quick look at sharpDX should you should be fine on the GFX front. 

UWP is not the full .NET stack so depending if you do anything esoteric you might have to re-write bits but again this should be painless.

A while back I did some work porting my functional/monadic library to portable libs and there were some functions I relied on that were missing. Can remember the specifics but some of the overloads I relied on were missing but was simple to work around. 

You are on the right lines. Start a new project and then start to pull in your code. One of the main areas that could bite you is file manipulation are you are moving to a protected file system where you only have access to your projects directory and also directories that the user gives you access to. 

As long as you code is well structured that should not bite you too much and the changes will be limited.

Quick look at sharpDX should you should be fine on the GFX front. 

UWP is not the full .NET stack so depending if you do anything esoteric you might have to re-write bits but again this should be painless.

A while back I did some work porting my functional/monadic library to portable libs and there were some functions I relied on that were missing. Can remember the specifics but some of the overloads I relied on were missing but was simple to work around. 

Cheers, I've also thought about removing some 3rd party Dll's I had been leaning on and writing the final bits more natively.  Some file converters for instance where I should write an actual native file loader (one that is to my format needs).  

My biggest issue at the start now is understanding the UWP framework to use with Sharpdx.  Having just fired up a UWP project, i'm a little bit lost with the format.  So far the only tutorials I can find around Sharpdx relate to the UWP structure for WIN 8 apps.  

I'm assuming I have to use dxgiFactory3 to create my swap chain, but attaching that to window is my first issue (don't know how).  I will continue my journey.  I think after walking through it, I might write something up for future reference for other poor unfortunate victims of this process.

Thanks for your direction though!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!