• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TempusReverse

Platformer style tutorial. How to import files from tiled etc?

This topic is 677 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm looking for how to make a platformer... I could make one right now, as I'm proficient enough in coding, but I'm looking for all the rules, laws and terminology for one, a definitive guide.

Now I have my main problem: How do you create the collision detection for the grounds, mostly in the air.

I can obviously do

if sprite touches floaty_object:

don't let the sprite move anymore in that direction.

But I'm looking for a more sophisticated system, thanks.

EDIT: I see a lot of guides on the internet... but specifically looking for a code-heavy one.

Edited by TempusReverse

Advertisement

Sounds like you have a list of individual topics to study. This is also one of the disciplines of programming (research). Trying to find the all-in-one guide is going to cause you more problems than it solves (even if you do find a guide claiming to be this thing).

It sounds like your initial research has led you to a list of things to study more deeply, so the next step is to research each of those topics individually. Continue this process recursively until you understand all that you need to do.

As for loading from tiled specifically, there are libraries available for this. A quick google search found me one for snek.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!