Designing a Combat System: A mix between dark souls and chivalry

Started by
1 comment, last by Mark William Nations 7 years, 7 months ago
A melee combat system where you have three attacks, regular horizontal swings, A overhead strike and a thrust for each weapon like chivalry.
But the rest of the system would be like dark souls, dodges, parries,etc

I was wondering what you guys think and ways you guys would improve on it.

Ps. After this I will create a prototype based on what you guys tell me
Advertisement

This system have a feeling of deja-vu if you allow me the expression.

It's like a dark soul, but instead of one attack, you have three types of attack? Dark souls is a good game, so the combat system you describe should work, probably. Even though having three attack is not really necessary, as dark souls is more based on timing and distance (knowledge of) than diversity of strikes. As long as the pointy end of the weapon is in the bad guy, it doesn't really matter where it came from ^^

So, If I were to do a dark souls clone, I'd focus more on having only one attack strike (per weapon) and works on the tuning of the attack and dodge in order to have the more precise system possible.

Else, you could look at the new game of Ubisoft : For Honor. In which they seems to have a nice combat system (from what the video are telling us) based on direction of strike versus direction of defense (if you are defending up and the enemy is attacking up, the attack is deflected). You have to use feint, moves, and dodge to strike at the right time, the right angle) This kind of system would take more sense in the case you have multiple strike pattern.

So yeah, I don't know if it helps, but here are my two cents, or roupies, or euros, or whatever.

What Navezof said, especially in regards to the "three attacks" bit. Dark Souls in fact flourishes on the limited capacity and true specialization of each class of weapon available, allowing the player to make their own judgment about which weapon style is best suited to their currently desired gameplay style and which weapon is perhaps best suited to the exact challenge presented before them. Rapiers, Scimitars, Spears, Maces, and Greatswords all have only 1 or 2 real "attacks", but they each have vastly different "feel" to the way the weapon works based on the fluidity of movement it allows, the hitbox range/size for a given swing, the time between button press and weapon swing, and the time before the weapon can make another swing, in addition to the "normal" stats like damage output, strength/diversity requirements, etc. Each of these subtle characteristics will filter into the "differences" between your designed weapons, so don't necessarily assume that you should have a three-hit combo, especially if it isn't actually necessary to deliver the design experience you are aiming for.

willnationsdev - Godot Engine Contributor

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement