• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Wolken

Advice on engine to use

This topic is 674 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I have been trying to learn C++ by making various simple games like pacman and so on. I started by using Cocos2d as my engine but have been thinking of starting a more serious project (something along the lines of "Stardew Valley") for Windows desktop. So my question for you guys would be: could you recommend me any C++ engines that would be perfect for this task or should I keep using Cocos? I would be making the game with the goal of publishing it on completion.

Thanks.

Advertisement

If you know Cocos2D and you are comfortable with it, you will likely make your game more quickly than if you were to pick some other library and learn that. I'd stick with what you're currently familiar with.

Stardew Valley looks like a kinda neat harvest moon clone :)

Since you are looking to do a 2D game, you will find that you don't really need an engine as such. So Cocos2D is pretty good. I personally would go slightly lower level towards SDL for slightly more portability but this is a non issue at this point (and it is C not C++).

Another one you might want to look at is SFML which is not an engine but a framework and provides very similar functionality to Cocos2D.

I would say your current knowledge on Cocos2D is good but I recommend SDL as well. If you know C++ and want your game to be able to run on multiple platforms you would be better off with that.

I think SDL and SFML to be very well suited to the needs of programmers like us. SFML is C++ native. Even Allegro 5 fits well. I doubted about Cocos2d in the beginning because I superficially liked it, so I researched about my needs.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!