DX11 black screen when windowed.

Started by
3 comments, last by NightCreature83 7 years, 7 months ago

I was working on a small framework for dx11 that does the basic stuff. But I took a 4 month break from it.

The last time I run the executable 4 months ago it was working fine, but now that I run it I get black screen when using the dedicated graphics card on windowed mode.

It works fine when using intel graphics 4600 and 5500 both on windowed mode. Also works fine when I'm fullscreen with the dedicated graphics.

I tried to disable V-Sync to see if the problem was in the refresh rate but it keeps giving me the black screen in windowed mode. And it actually detects my graphics card since it displays the GPU name on the caption of the window correctly. And if I check the GPU usage with something like Open Hardware Monitor, even if I get a black screen, the GPU is still working, and not in IDLE like when you don't have any program running.

I updated the GPU drivers recently and I'm running on Windows 10.

I didn't touch the framework during my break, and I left it working perfectly.

Is it a problem with one of the new Windows 10 updates in the last 4 months? Or the new drivers?

I use Win32 to manage window, but since it displays in fullscreen I don't think that's the problem.

Any idea what is going wrong?

Thank you.

Advertisement

I've heard of other people having black screen issues when they forget to use GetClientRect to find out the actual size of their window.

e.g. if you make a 1280x720 window, and Windows draws a border around the edge, you might only have a 1270x710 client area -- so that's the back buffer / swap chain resolution

that you should use.

If you dont pass it the actual GetClientRect window size the problem I was seeing with Dedicated GPUs was that the compositing and final output to the window was actually still happening on the iGPU instead of on the dGPU.

The DX11 adapter selection should be enough to select the dGPU and you dont need to add any of the NV or AMD apis to force the selection of the GPU.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

It works perfectly now, thank you very much to both!

What I don't understand is why now, and not before. Anyway it's solved now, thank you.

It works perfectly now, thank you very much to both!

What I don't understand is why now, and not before. Anyway it's solved now, thank you.

I think the Windows 10 drivers got stricter with the inclusion of DX12, because the first time I noticed this happening was in the switch from WIn 8 to 10

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement