Got scammed by a publisher, know any lawyers in Germany?

Started by
7 comments, last by Pintea 7 years, 7 months ago
OK so we got scammed by a German publisher (can't give more details yet, but will soon). We have a valid contract, an incomplete sales report and tons of emails. They kept dodging making any payment or submitting sales reports until they completely stopped responding.
Since the company is based in Germany, does anyone know a lawyer or law-firm there?
Thanks!
Advertisement

Do your speak german?

You can try https://cms.law/en/DEU/global-reach/Europe/Germany/CMS-HS/TMC-Technology.-Media-Communications

or

http://www.skwschwarz.de/en/Areas-of-Work/IT-and-Digital-Business/

They have a lot of knowledge in this.

We had to contact them about a year ago, because one client refused to pay.

No, I don't speak German :(

Thanks for the links. Did it get sorted out for you in the end?

Thanks for the links. Did it get sorted out for you in the end?

Yes, kinda.

Our sales department setup a really bad contract with the customer, so that in the end, we just got a partial payment back. Like 60% from the actual amount.

That is all i know about it sadly, i was just an administrator there :)

(can't give more details yet, but will soon).

Don't. The first thing your lawyer will tell you is, don't talk about the case online.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

OK so we got scammed by a German publisher (can't give more details yet, but will soon).

Don't. The first thing your lawyer will tell you is, don't talk about the case online.

I wouldn't care. Sometimes a little media attention helps put pressure on fraudsters, maybe even help put together a class action suit against them. But first you need proof, otherwise, it's just slander/libel and in turn they can sue you.

Take into consideration if it's even worth your time and money chasing after unpaid dues. Seek to know all the costs/fees upfront for hiring a lawyer to file a complaint in court on your behalf vs what you expect in return. It might become disclosed that the publisher is insolvent, bankrupt/broke, or as the German's say "kaput", then based on whatever's left, you might only get a percentage of what you were entitled to.

We got some lawyer references and we're currently talking to them.

Will keep quiet until we get some advice, but I agree with BrianRhineheart, media pressure would scare me more than a lawsuit. Having your name inextricably linked with "fraud" and "scam" all over the Internet for the rest of your life is a lot harder than going to a courtroom.

Good luck with that!

German lawyers now?

Good luck with that!

German lawyers now?

Yes, all German. The contract is theirs, so German laws apply.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement