Legacy PSS in old games

Started by
5 comments, last by InstallHate 7 years, 7 months ago

Hi, I came here to ask a question about old games using PhysX. I tend to find a manual solution for game dependencies, I mean, if the game requires VC2010, I put msvcr/cp110 dlls in the game folder. Question is, there is solution like this for games using old PSS? I suppose the exe or some dll searchs the registry for PhysX path. Any way to avoid this? Hexing or patching exe/dll?

BTW, the game I'm trying to make it work is Arkham Asylum, DRM free version from Steam, with the command "-nosteam".

Advertisement

Just install VC2010 / PhysX? Those hacks do work but aren't worth the trouble to apply to every game.

Can't help you with PSS though - no idea what that is but follow same pattern - install it.

PSS is legacy PhysX. I don't want to install unnecessary stuff. If the game can work with those dlls inside the exe folder, thats the way it should have been released by the devs.

Whats that hack you mentioned? I don't have any problem to apply it to all my games that are using old PhysX.

Thanks!

If you were on Windows the dll loockup for both, LoadLibrary and dynamic linked should be in the following order

-> Application Folder -> registry -> system32

so when your App dosent find anything in the App folder it will just look anywhere else for it and then fire an error message. To get what you want you will need to copy any of the dll files into the Application folder where the exe is located

If you were on Windows the dll loockup for both, LoadLibrary and dynamic linked should be in the following order

-> Application Folder -> registry -> system32

so when your App dosent find anything in the App folder it will just look anywhere else for it and then fire an error message. To get what you want you will need to copy any of the dll files into the Application folder where the exe is located

PhysxLoader.dll, yes, but it still asks for a properly installed PSS. The exe or some of the PhysX dlls are looking for registry entries. I'm asking for a way to bypass this.

Thanks!

I dont believe that but it could be that you have more dependencies than simply copy paste your PhysixLoader.dll when that one tries to load some more dll files from system32 directory by LoadLibrary API function.

You could use Procmon.exe to investigate what exactly happens when you start the game and see what files it tries to access

I dont believe that but it could be that you have more dependencies than simply copy paste your PhysixLoader.dll when that one tries to load some more dll files from system32 directory by LoadLibrary API function.

You could use Procmon.exe to investigate what exactly happens when you start the game and see what files it tries to access

Nope, something is still looking for registry entries. If you put PhysXLoader.dll with the exe and there is no PhysX registry entries or the libraries aren't in the proper path, the game complaints about PhysX installation. I think it's something related to the PhysX SDK in the old versions. It's definetly an exe matter.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement