Specific config on DX12 swapchain for working through RDP

Started by
5 comments, last by SoldierOfLight 7 years, 7 months ago

Hey Guys,

Recently I run some of my working DX12 programs remotely through Microsoft Remote Desktop(RDP) and found out they crashed probably during on first present call (the error msg I got said nvwgf2umx.dll thrown exception access violation reading location 0x0000000000000010).

The program can run properly locally and also can run properly through Chrome Remote Desktop.

My guess is that Chrome Remote Desktop just run the program locally and send 'screen shot' while RDP is doing something differently which need extra care when DX creating the swap-chain?

Any thought? Thanks

Advertisement

My program works fine over RDP. I just reviewed history of commits in my project. I didn't find anything related to bugs when working over RDP.

So, I can give just general suggestions. Check HRESULTs for errors, enable debug layer, if you haven't enabled it yet, don't forget that you can't switch to full-screen mode when working over RDP.

you can't switch to full-screen mode when working over RDP

Thanks for the reply, so it seems RDP did do something differently compare to launch the program locally. Also my debug layer is enabled, and yes I should check all possible HRESULTs

so it seems RDP did do something differently compare to launch the program locally.

It is not RDP only thing. If your computer has two videocards and you render on first, but display is attached to second, you can't switch swap-chain into full-screen mode too.

It is not RDP only thing. If your computer has two videocards and you render on first, but display is attached to second, you can't switch swap-chain into full-screen mode too

Thanks red75prime. I am not super familiar with hardware related swap-chain details. Just curious what happened when we switch to fullscreen? it's not like have borderless window cover the whole monitor? Why fullscreen only enabled when the display is attached to the videocard we are rendering to? Sounds like fullscreen mode should render faster compare to borderless fullscreen....

Sorry to dump all those questions to you, I just want to learn~~

Thanks

Actually, there are 2 full-screen modes. Borderless full-screen window is one of them, but I had in mind "true full-screen mode", which is set by passing TRUE into IDXGISwapChain::SetFullscreenState() or by setting DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_DESC Windowed field to FALSE when creating swap-chain.

"True full-screen mode" can be more efficient by eliminating data transfer from swap-chain buffers to Desktop Window Manager, but there are many details to that.

You should consult https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb205075(v=vs.85).aspx to get up-to date information on the topic. My knowledge of this is a bit stale.

Just going to plug this video here... Presentation Modes in Windows 10.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement