• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jakovo

OpenGL Writing a Dx12/Vulkan engine

This topic is 820 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there any good material out there about writing an engine for Dx12/Vulkan?...

I'm starting to get into DX12/Vulkan, I've written a small engine for Dx11/9 before, but as I understand, writing an engine for the new APIs requieres a different approach, and its architecture should be somehow different from that of traditional DX11/OpenGL...  so I'd like to read a little bit about what should I keep in mind when re-writing my engine for the new APIs.

Thanks

Advertisement

Check GDC.

there's not a lot of direct information right now as Dx12 and Vulkan both target AAA companies who need that kind of horse power.

So far.. i've mostly seen Dx12 and Vulkan added as a consequence, when the game is almost complete and the data is known.

Mostly because you have access to memory now, so you design to your access patterns.

Edited by Tangletail

DX12/Vulkan is different than DX11/OpenGl, do you know either yet?  I can post some documents but you'd have a hard time understanding them if you're not familiar with the basic concepts (PSO's, commandlists, command queues) of D3D12./Vulkan.

search for this document: Practical_DX12_Programming_Model_and_Hardware_Capabilities.pdf

If you can't find it remove the .pdf and replace the underscores with spaces.

sorry I can't think of anything on vulkan off the top of my head.

Edited by Infinisearch

IMHO, if you design for Dx12/Vulkan, then that design will work well on Dx11/GL too... But, if you design for Dx11/GL, then that design will not be good for Dx12/Vulkan.

My design is roughly described here: http://tiny.cc/gpuinterface

These kinds of "stateless" designs map to the modern APIs very well, because it allows you to prepare a lot of work ahead of draw-time, such as the pipeline state.

If you want to build an engine in DirectX12 and cover all the basic aspects and changes I'd recommend Frank Luna's DirectX 12 book. It explains everything from initialization to complex techniques like SSAO which are easy to understand and read.

https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Programming-DirectX-Computer-Science/dp/1942270062

There's also Braynzar's Soft DirectX12 tutorials which are pretty good too

https://www.braynzarsoft.net/viewtutorial/q16390-04-directx-12-braynzar-soft-tutorials

Edited by arjansingh00

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!