Looking for WebGL projects to join

Started by
4 comments, last by DevBlazer 7 years, 6 months ago

Hi!

I'm an experienced web developer and as this topic states I'm looking for any interesting WebGL projects to join (for fun and experience on WebGL).

I love 3d, math and graphic programming.

I have some experience on BabylonJS, Three.js and of course I can use raw WebGL.

Looking forward for your replies! :)

Advertisement

Hi there, I run a few interesting webgl projects in my sparetime, but time is always limited so I am always looking for help, but there are not that many people in this field of things. Let me know if you interested, here is one example of my work.

You can see some of my work in this tech demo: (browser based minecraft clone with gamepad and vr support)
http://test.elemental.co.za/samples/digger_vr
If you load it up on a pc you will see a minecraft ish clone (awsd, space for jump and lmb to dig).
If you load it up on an android phone you will need a bluetooth gamepad and a google cardboard and then you can experience the same thing in vr.
Please note:
- this is a tech demo and only supports chrome browser on windows or android (will not work on mac/iphone)
- when you load it up it will remain black for a few minutes while it generates the world

Let me know if you interested, here is one example of my work.

Hi!

Yes, I'm interested. Nice demo! :)

I've digged to the bottom. :) How many cubes are there??

Sorry for late reply, i didnt receive any email notification.
That mapgen is set to 64x64x64 at the moment, but the browser can handle upto 1024x1024x1024 but that takes several weeks to generate, not very feesable.

I am busy working on serverside prerendered maps upto 512x512x512, that will then simply be downloaded and stored in localstorage of browser (starting a new map will be as simple as downloading a 200mb map file at that point.

You can hit me up on skype if you want: aroux@impactradius.com

Hi! I've added you on skype. Seems, you're testing limits :) It's a lot of cubes. Do you use instancing?

Hi Andrew, to answer your question, I was originally using threejs for the engine, but when dealing with this level of data I obviously had to be creating models on the fly for sections of map in visible range for sake of load/bandwidth/javascript speed, and it turned out to handle dynamic content like that very poorly despite trying a few different methods.
I threw it out and now use raw webgl so that I have a much greater level of control over the rendering pipeline and most importantly memory, as the true cause of my issues turned out to be due to the browsers having a large time reallocating large array buffers.
I now use mainly one large fixed array buffer for building vertex data to eliminate these issues, just keep reusing it.
To manage the enormous amount of data required for maps of that kind of size, even in chrome, I use a multi tiered system.

Actually what is generated is a custom compressed data format that stores the map data in 8x8x8 sized chunks
As you move through the map the data for chunks in your region is decompressed and stored in full size in memory
Then as you move the camera, the chunks that are in your visible range, get models built for them (vertex data) and stored for display every tick
So its a three tiered system.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement