• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chris1234

D3DDevice->Clear() how?

This topic is 6084 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to clear only a certain area of my window-based directx8 application I do the following to clear the area: D3DRECT *area; area->x1 =120; area->y1 =120; area->x2 =220; area->y2 =220; D3D8.D3DDevice->Clear(1, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(128, 128, 128), 1.0f, 0 ); when I do this my application crashes, and I have no idea what I do wrong...the coordinates of my window-based app are 100, 100 and the window is 320 x 320 in size so the area I clear is valid. so what am I doing wrong then?

Advertisement
This ain''t good:

D3DRECT * area;
area->.. = n;

since area is an uninitialized pointer, it will cause your system to crash because you do writes into the nirvana.

whenever pointer are requested by a function, that means having the specific object on stack (or heap) and pass the adress (or heap pointer) to that function.

a valid call would look like this:

D3DRECT area;
area.x1 = area.y1 = 120;
area.x2 = area.y2 = 220;
D3D8.D3DDevice->Clear ( 1, &area, D3DCLEAR_TARGET, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(80x80,0x80,x80), 1.0f, 0 );

btw. I noticed you calling Clear() with rect count 1 and rect pointer NULL - this is another thing DX8 dislikes alot

hope that helped you out a little and make shure to grab a good
book on C/C++ - just my two cents

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!