Youtube Gaming database

Started by
2 comments, last by Kylotan 7 years, 6 months ago

Hi! Does anybody know how to get a game to the database Youtube is using for "Youtube gaming"? The problem is that when I upload videos to Youtube now and set the name of my game in advanced settings, there is a link to Terraria in the about box. It's quite annoying, but since my game doesn't exist in the database, another game title (in my case Terraria) is shown.

Has anybody managed to do something about this? It would be good for marketing purposes to have the game in the database. Any insight into this will be of great help!

I'd also like to say hello! (This is my first post here).

Advertisement

I believe it uses Google's search technology, not a specific standalone database. Be popular and you show up more. Create more quality content, and do so frequently and regularly, and you'll show up more. Have more people link to you and you'll show up more.

This is an interesting marketing question, so I moved this to the Business forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If I'm being cynical, most likely you don't and can't get a say in this. YouTube want to compete with Twitch on the gaming front and they are probably doing this by explicitly catering for the bigger games and the bigger audiences. Whatever method they use to decide what's on that list, they are not sharing, as they don't want you to 'game' the system (pun intended... sort of...)

If I was speculating however, I expect there may be a combination of the following:

• Videos of your game already have to exist. You can't set it directly in the advanced settings because of the problem you mention, but maybe just having it in the name, description, or tags is enough. But it's unlikely they're going to offer it in the DB unless there is content to show.
  • Those videos need naming correctly. It appears that the game name needs to be in the title, as well as "review" or "let's play" for the respective sections. That may no longer be the case once the game is already in the DB, of course.
  • You probably need a Wikipedia page with the same name. Each game I find on there has populated the 'About' section from a Wikipedia page. It might be the case that Google scrapes Wikipedia to find game names

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement