Why do most people recommend Python

Started by
35 comments, last by Kylotan 7 years, 6 months ago

Since the day I wanted to start programming.....Python....Python everywhere.

Yes, it could be easy and close to our spoken language but...isn't time to stop recommending python, and recommend something as easy but modern???

Yes, I am talking about Swift...

Why Python of all others?

Just because it's "easy"???

In the end, all programming languages are the same, in logic...

Advertisement

People recommend Python because they hear other people recommend Python.

It's not a bad choice and it's available for free on pretty much every platform and there are tons of resources available.

I don't think closeness to spoken language is a good thing, it just leads to more confusion. Otherwise, everyone would recommend COBOL. :)

Personally, I prefer strongly typed languages and would recommend starting with C for system level programming or C# for application level programming.

They are also available for free on pretty much every platform and there are also tons of resources available.

I would not recommend Swift. It is not very well established and is still changing rapidly. It is really only useful in an Apple environment, and Apple wants to move its users as far away as possible from mainstream technology to keep their scent of exclusivity. Also, since it is still relatively new and not widespread at all, the number of resources at ones disposal are also limited.

However, as you correctly pointed out, ultimately all programming languages uses similar context, because they are abstractions of how computers work. So, if a language teaches you programming concepts and how computers work, it will be fine.

I think because of the "easy to learn" syntax and the distribution on several OS and the wide use of applications.

Isn't Swift just in use for IOS?

In the end, all programming languages are the same, in logic...

Not really. Functional and imperative language have a different logic. You can also see this.

Otherwise, I really tend to avoid using languages made by a company, with real economic or users-join-our-new-religion purposes. And even if afterward this language will enter an ISO process (like C#). And mostly if this language had become well-known after a lot of marketing things.

So my two cents are: don't use a language because there's a lot of ads about it. If you really want to study what language should be best for you, then

Since the day I wanted to start programming.....Python....Python everywhere. Yes, it could be easy and close to our spoken language but...isn't time to stop recommending python, and recommend something as easy but modern??? Yes, I am talking about Swift...

is too small...

Don't forget that a language is a toolbox, not a tool. New languages will tend to change a lot, will lack support of many things at the early ages.

Why Python of all others? Just because it's "easy"???

Yes, python only takes about a week to learn for a programmer or a month for a newcomer.

It's a stepping stone to other languages as it helps understand classes, branches and cases.

You would be surprised how few people understand the concepts of health bars in games, python quickly teaches these kinds of basics.

It's also a fast language in the sense that making things happen takes a lot less code than Java or C.

I use Python all the time for quick tests and prototypes, Gimp and Blender also allow python coding; allowing even inexperienced coders to take advantage of advantage features.

If you only plan on making small games or If you are new to programming and want to learn the basics, python is a good choice. Experienced programmers can just spend a weak on it and add Python to the list of languages they know.

The main reason I believe it's popular is because it's the free language, that is so many of the free software uses it that people using these software automatically learn Python; that and it's user friendly.

That's the problem, each person recommend me different language, mostly because they "like" it.

I started with Java

Person: No...go with Python

why?

Person: It's easy

I moved to C++

Person: No...go with C, even tho it's old

Why?, C++ is a modern version of C, why waste the time?

Person: then go with Python

I moved to Swift

Person: No...Swift is for IOS only

It's not...its a combination for C and Objective-C, and programming languages works on any computer, but there are no compiler for swift on other machines yet.

Person: Then take Python

I came back and will stick to C++ for now

Person: No...It's hard, go Python

Man...Programming in general is not easy, it never was easy, it is a skill...not a note to memorise,

Person: who cares, I love Python, I hear people say Python, so go python....python python python

To be honest I start to hate the language of Python kind of...

People recommend Python because they hear other people recommend Python.

That's what I think it is....not coming from the recommender's experience...

C++ is also great and definitely super useful. There are also loads of resources out there, but it has no real recommended best way of doing things. It's a multi paradigm language, where as most try to stick to a certain paradigm like OOP, functional, prototype based, purely procedural, ...

Different resources will constantly contradict each other. This is not a bad thing (in fact, I think it is a good thing), but it can be very confusing to beginners and adepts alike.

But ultimately it's up to you. No language will make learning to program super easy, because it is hard and takes more than a lifetime to master. All the starting language can do is to move common pitfalls that cause frustration when learning out of the way. Even if a language manages to hide a certain complex topic away really way, at some point you'll need to tackle this topic. There's no escape, all abstractions are leaky! :)

Yes, I am talking about Swift...

I some parts of the world it is pretty hard to find a person who has an Apple computer. My first encounter was at 1st job in the summer of 2012, we had a few VMs with some sort of MacOS(or was it called OSx), not sure. At my current job we have a few Apple desktops, but we use them only for debugging if needed. Otherwise I do not know anybody who has Apple PC/Laptop as home.

First of all, the recommendation is just it - a recommendation. You are not obliged to learn a language just because someone told you that you should (unless it's your employer but in that case it is hardly a recommendation :) ).

During my career as developer I learnt quite a few different languages and right now my language of choice is C#. But when my kid told me he would like to learn programming I recommended him Python. It wasn't because everyone recommends Python or because I know it inside out (I don't), but I can see it teaches good habits. Writing code that computer understands is easy, writing code that other people understand is hard and Python at least teaches you to format your code correctly - one instruction per line with correct indentation.

It is important because it gets you into habit of good formatting. In the end my kid as well as everyone else will learn many other languages and discover most are very similar. But habit of readable code will hopefully stay and make things easier for him and his coworkers.

Python is probably the easiest language that is widely available and powerful enough for real-world general purpose tasks.

Swift is currently almost worthless by comparison due to having a small community, poor multiplatform support, and poor library availability.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement