• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ZaTrox

Where to start with C#

This topic is 749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am 16 years old and i want to get into game programming. For this purpose i did a bit of research and found that its recommended to start with phyton or c# and i went with c# since there are too many split opinions. Now does anyone was in the same situation and could help me with choosing a online place where i can learn programming in C#? By online place i mean something like a tutorial, a book, anything (even if i had to pay) (i have a part time job o it should be ok). I tried looking for anything like this on a forum and internet but it was mostly outdated. Also should i go with what Microsoft released, can i trust their tutorial or do you have better one in mind and its verified to be better by majority of people?

Advertisement

Try the XNA tutorial.

It's good, it's relevant, you'll be able to transfer those skills to another library later on if you choose to.

ok thank you <3 now i have to go to my part time job but i will definitely look at this after i finish school tomorrow (or after i finish my part time job)

For game development I advise a "simple" game engine. GameMaker, RPGMaker, Unity, etc...

These 3 are a good starting point, especially unity since it has C# programming. 

If you choose C# then learn how to code before jumping into XNA. Proper coding skills may help you more than you can think. 

For game development I advise a "simple" game engine. GameMaker, RPGMaker, Unity, etc...

These 3 are a good starting point, especially unity since it has C# programming. 

If you choose C# then learn how to code before jumping into XNA. Proper coding skills may help you more than you can think. 

This is true. Very true.

in that case where can i learn how to code? with game engines?

Also if you are on windows you should download Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition. This is one of the best IDE/Tools out there and for .NET languages such as C# has no equal.

The Community Edition is basically the same as Pro edition but free :) Given your post I doubt you will hit the limitation of if you are allowed to use as from memory companies with above 5 people need to buy pro so you will be fine.

Learning C# by Jesse Liberty
And
Programming C# by Jesse Liberty
Those 2 Books Launched My C# Journey And I'm Still Here.
Consider A Tutor To Get You Past The Small Bumps.
XNA Is Dead I Supported It And I Watched It Die :( One Day They Just Said "HEY NO MORE XNA SUPPORT!!!" When I Was Midway Through My 3rd XNA Project...
I'm Using C# In Unity Right Now.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!