• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Visual Studio C++ without debugging screen fades.

This topic is 573 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay I have finally started working on my project again and I am having problems with debugging / not debugging.

When I debug and change the resolution of the game I get a proper break at the breakpoint

When I open a text box (without breakpoints) to see the interaction in the game window and I am in debug mode the current situation is resolved.

However, when I am not debugging and just running without debug and I do either of these two actions the screen fades out and displays "is not responding."

How do I fix this situation so that the program works like it does in debug mode?

Thank You,

JoshuaE

Edited by Josheir

Advertisement

Thanks for the help Nypyren.

I guess window acts like window and full screen should act like full screen.  I changed the cooperative level and I am very pleased with the results.   A real good day!

This attach process idea works well if in a while loop for example, what are its other uses?  Seeing that on Win10, Visual Studio C++ the 'pause' button becomes useable after attach process->Attach.

Thanks for your help,

JoshuaE

This attach process idea works well if in a while loop for example, what are its other uses?

A few other cases where I've used attach-to-process:

- When my program starts child processes, I attach the debugger to all of the child processes as well. (I wish visual studio could do this automatically.) The only game examples I can think of where you would start a child process would be when a game client launches its own dedicated server instead of hosting it in-process.

- When a program crashes but I forgot to attach the debugger, sometimes the crash dialog will suspend the program and I can attach at that time to see where the crash is. (As far as I know this is something special that Visual Studio installs.)

- Debugging programs I don't have source code for (using the disassembly window).

- Attaching to a process on a different computer (usually for debugging the program on a Windows RT tablet). Edited by Nypyren

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement