Forcing HEL?

Started by
4 comments, last by ZorMonkey 22 years, 4 months ago
Hello! I''m pretty new to DX, so forgive me if this is a really easy question. Using DX3, is there a way to force the use of the HEL, rather than use the magic hardware capabilities? I''m working on a little project to compare the HEL to the hardware, but I think I''m stuck. Not many article discuss using the HEL, which is to be expected I suppose. Thanks!
Advertisement
Haven''t seen anything with DX3.0 for a WHILE now, but if I remember correctly, it''s just a flag you specify when creating the d3d device right??

Though it would be great just for once if the DX versions maintained some consistency between releases...

Other than that though, I have zilch documentation lying around on DX3 device creation...

Do a search on this website as they still have documentation lying around for much older version of DX3 (there''s also tons still available through Google)..

hth,
Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish
Assuming D3D, just pass the GUID for the RGB or ramp device to the creation call and you''ll get a HEL instead of a HAL

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Well, I''m working with DDraw, DSound, and DInput. I sort of assumed I could get a straight HEL by passing certain guids, but now my question is, how do I find that guid? I tried poking around in some .h''s to see if anything looked like what I needed, but no such luck. Do DS and DI have emulation layers? I''m assuming DI doesnt really, that''d be a little silly.

Thanks again.
Well, I almost found an answer, it seems the GUID for DD emulation is DDCREATE_EMULATIONONLY. The only problem is that...
DirectDrawCreate((struct _GUID *)DDCREATE_EMULATIONONLY, &lpdd, NULL)
...gives me a 80004005 error, which is no fun. The (struct _GUID*) bit doesnt look right to me, but it wouldnt compile without it. Converting a long to a struct pointer makes me nervous. Ah well, back to hammering at it!

Edited by - ZorMonkey on November 24, 2001 10:30:38 AM
Bah, I resarted my computer, and DDCREATE_EMULATIONONLY. Now, andone now how to disable sound hardware acceleration? Right now I''m working on getting a working DirectSoundEnumerate, but the compiler refuses to accept my callback function. It complains that the function isnt a (__stdcall *) type, but it should be...

Geez, I reply to my own posts too much.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement