Narrative Analysis of Grandia II

Started by
1 comment, last by Koobazaur 7 years, 6 months ago
I recently picked up Grandia II Anniversary Edition to scratch a JRPG itch and it scratched it a little TOO hard. Yet, it proved an interest example to analyze. I thought I'd share my analysis :)

Narrative Analysis of Grandia II’s Beginning
grandia-2-story-analysis-header.jpg

After 10 minutes, I hated Grandia II. It began abuseing every JRPG trope I could imagine and only got worse from there. Yet, I realized it also created a very solid plot structure with well-paced ups and down. For this dichotomic reason, I found it particularly intriguing to break down narratively. I have also never analyzed a game story in such detail before, so this is a good exercise for me as well!

This piece is perhaps not as deep as it could be, but there was a lot of ground to cover (and a lot of things I am myself just learning). I will try to point out important archetypes, conflicts and plot points to understand how the story flows in the first 6 or so hours. At the end I also provide a bullet-point breakdown of the plot for your convenience!

Continue Reading ->

Let me know what you think!
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
Advertisement
Koobazaur, please post blog links in Your Announcements, not the discussion forums. You can also
consider writing an article here on gamedev.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Ah sorry Tom, I thought this would be good for some discussion especially since this was my first analysis of such sort. So I wasn't even sure if it was "worthy" of an article title ;p

But feel free to move to Announcements if it fits better. Thanks!
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement