Game idea, I need some feedback

Started by
8 comments, last by ingframin 7 years, 6 months ago

Hello,

After programming a few arcades, I finally started thinking about a more original idea and I would like to have some feedback.

I would like to make a turn based strategy game.

Something "like" x-com (well... much simpler than x-com :D ).

My idea is to make a game about battles between tanks/vehicles based armies.

I am thinking about 4 to 8 units per player, with different shooting modes or special abilities.

At the beginning of the match, each player choses his composition without knowing the unit composition of its opponents.

I am thinking about using 3/4 different kind of units of different size.

After each battle the players gain xp/money to upgrade their units.

Ideally I would like to have a story mode and a multiplayer mode.

The map will have fog of war. I was thinking about procedurally generated maps but I don't think it's something really useful for this kind of game. In the end the battle is on a field and not in a maze.

I am also thinking about playing with terrain height (kind of starcraft high/low ground) to give advantage or disadvantage and walls/obstacles to turn around.

The grid will be square (much simpler than a hexagonal grid).

It will be 2D and the graphic as simple as possible, I am even considering using simple rectangles for the beginning, until I have the "engine" working.

For the AI, I am going to ask help to a couple of friends that are experts in that so I don't know yet how complex it will be.

Do you think could be something funny to play?

Any suggestion about the gameplay elements I can add or you would liek to have?

(Keep it simple eh... It's my first real game :) )

Do you think is it realistic to develop such a game in let's say 2 years (working 1 or 2 hours per day, probably a bit more in the weekend)?

I am not planning to release it commercially for the moment, I am thinking more about an open source project.

Advertisement

funny? no, not unless you add humor or silliness. fun? yes - assuming you like wargames.

Any suggestion about the gameplay elements I can add or you would liek to have?

you seem to have plenty there already.

Do you think is it realistic to develop such a game in let's say 2 years (working 1 or 2 hours per day, probably a bit more in the weekend)?

don't see why not.

start with the basics and placeholder graphics. add features. then improve graphics.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

I agree with Norman. If you can do it, do it!

Sounds like a very reasonable project. The bare bones of it probably shouldn't take that long depending on what tools you're using. I remember whipping up something roughly similar to what you're describing here in about two/three months using Python and Pygame, though with the caveat that my combat model was very simple and AI basically nonexistent.

You may want to begin by creating the actual combat arena, and then worry about allowing for unit selection later. That way you can define three or four basic unit types and the basics of your combat and movement model, and then design new unit types around that, rather than the other way around. The order I did it in for my game above was: design basic units (and lay the template for how units would be defined). Design/Impement maps (I used simple procgen heightmaps, and wanted mostly flat ground with features like forests, hills, and mountains dotted about). Implement movement. Implement melee combat. Implement ranged combat. Then I went back and created a few more unit types and an army selection mode for the pre-game.

I Create Games to Help Tell Stories

funny? no, not unless you add humor or silliness. fun? yes - assuming you like wargames.

Damn English >.<

Sounds like a very reasonable project. The bare bones of it probably shouldn't take that long depending on what tools you're using. I remember whipping up something roughly similar to what you're describing here in about two/three months using Python and Pygame

Was it running smoothly?
I was also considering pygame but I am not sure about the "horsepower" required to run a full game made with it.
I did not chose the technology yet, I was thinking to use java with libgdx or c# with monogame.

It sounds similar to Advance Wars from Nintendo. Armies battle each other using different units. Units counter other units or lose to other units. You might want to check that out and see what you want to borrow from it and how you want to distinguish yourself from it.

Mend and Defend

Sounds like a very reasonable project. The bare bones of it probably shouldn't take that long depending on what tools you're using. I remember whipping up something roughly similar to what you're describing here in about two/three months using Python and Pygame

Was it running smoothly?
I was also considering pygame but I am not sure about the "horsepower" required to run a full game made with it.
I did not chose the technology yet, I was thinking to use java with libgdx or c# with monogame.

Yep, ran perfectly. Only annoying part was setting fussing with the graphics stuff, which is lower-level than I needed. It was easy enough to learn though. I am presently solidly on the Unity bandwagon though, and would suggest giving it a try unless you are not a Unity fan.

I Create Games to Help Tell Stories

Was it running smoothly?

Yep, ran perfectly. Only annoying part was setting fussing with the graphics stuff, which is lower-level than I needed. It was easy enough to learn though. I am presently solidly on the Unity bandwagon though, and would suggest giving it a try unless you are not a Unity fan.

I never put any effort in learning Unity honestly. I did the first tutorialand that's it.

I can follow some tutorial this weekend maybe.

Thanks for the advice!

It sounds similar to Advance Wars from Nintendo. Armies battle each other using different units. Units counter other units or lose to other units. You might want to check that out and see what you want to borrow from it and how you want to distinguish yourself from it.

I did not know this game, I am looking at it.

Thanks for the suggestion

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement