• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
umen242

How to calcolate moving vector of object by its rotation degress in 2d

This topic is 651 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all

i have object in game which is rotating when i move my joystick , now i need to calculate its movement vector by its rotation 
the object always moving forward and controlled by the joystick , the joystick is only setting its direction by degree . 
here is the image which illustrate the scene . 

i need some formula of the vector which the object will move .

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:33561]

Thanks

Advertisement
The vector is (cos(angle), sin(angle)). This vector is so useful that you generally don't need to deal with the angle at all. The representation of a direction as a unit-length vector is much better for many reasons, even if you find angles more natural.

Thanks for the replay , but can you please explain more , or can you can you please direct me to some links to explain ? 

The input of the joystick comes in as two numbers, the x direction and the y direction. The velocity of an object can be represented by the same way. There is no need to convert the joystick direction to an angle, just to convert it back to a x,y pair.

For example, this is doing it with trigonometry
float angle = atan2(joystickInput.y, joystickInput.x);
float magnitude = sqrt(joystickInput.x * joystickInput.x + joystickInput.y * joystickInput.y);

float velocityX = cos(angle) * speed * magnitude;
float velocityY = sin(angle) * speed * magnitude;
Just do this instead
float velocityX = joystickInput.x * speed;
float velocityY = joystickInput.y * speed;

The vector is (cos(angle), sin(angle)).

note that this is on a unit circle. 

if you use axes with pos x = right and pos y = up, and theta measured clockwise from the pos y axis (like compass degrees), your unit direction vector is x = sin(theta), y = cos(theta).

and for a movement distance d, you displacement vector is x = d*sin(theta), y=d*cos(theta).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!