• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hawkblood

Possible to do LOD terrain with hardware tessllation?

This topic is 801 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been looking at HW tessellation. It looks promising, but I don't see much benefit with respect to terrain. Sure, it can "smooth" corners, but would it be useful for terrain? Is there a way to tessellate a simple mesh into a terrain with predetermined height map info (using LOD)?

Advertisement

I found some Google entries (it's amazing what you can find if you ask the right question). I still have a problem that I don't have a good example to go by. I found some NVidia papers, but the link, that would give me the example, says "page not found"; so that's a dead end.......

Frank Luna's DirectX 11 book has a chapter on using the tessellation hardware support (Hull and domain shaders) to do a dynamic LOD tessellation of a simple quad mesh based on a heightmap texture.  If you don't want to buy the book (which I would recommend, it's a pretty good resource for learning Direct3D 11), you can download the code samples from his site http://www.d3dcoder.net/d3d11.htm, Chapter 19.

I do it like this: http://www.socoso.com.au/Tiogra/Index.html?page=basemesh.html A combination of torus and tesselation.

Tesselation has its limits as to how much and it also has other issues, such as the triangular orientation inherent in the system. It is also not magically faster, more triangles still means more resources to render. It is very good for monolithic grids where you have areas that need more detail (such as rocky parts).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!