What controller to use while developing PC game

Started by
13 comments, last by Wyrframe 7 years, 6 months ago

For those of you developing PC games that should be played with a controller (as opposed to a mouse and keyboard), what controller do you use during development to test your game on? I am working on an indie game in Unity and from the very beginning, I've planned for the game to be played with a controller, but so far I've only tested it on a keyboard. Now I want to finally make it work with a controller. Can somebody recommend a good PC controller to use, preferably wireless? A name and a brand would be helpful.

I was just looking at the Steam controller on Amazon, but it seems it requires Steam to be installed on your computer, which I don't have because I don't play Steam games.

Thanks.

Advertisement

Xbox 360 / XboxOne are the defacto standard PC gaming controllers (at least for windows). Everything else is an imitation xbox controllers, except the Steam controller... which is a weird hybrid of an imitation-xbox controller and a touch pad.

I haven't specifically used a controller for game dev but I have done work with them for robotics related work.

I found the easiest to use for controllers/joysticks was the Xbox 360 controller and the Logitech Attack 3 as their control mappings are very straight forward and logical.

I use a dualshock3, but it's still XInput. The actual device you use isn't really as important as supporting XInput and making sure your control scheme is sane for an XBox controller. That's what people are used to.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

If you're developing for Windows then a Xbox 360 controller or controller that makes use of XIput is a good starting point.

Thank you all for the replies. I am leaning towards the XBox One wireless controller, mainly because I do a lot of my development in coffee shops and I don't want to carry around yet another cable with me. Plus it has native support for Windows 10, which is what I have on my laptop.

I am using Wireless Xbox One controller for game testing. It is the most affordable controller for PC games. It comes with Bluetooth connectivity. It is really useful. You should try it.

I use an XBox 360 controller. I imagine the XBox One controller would be a great choice. I was pretty disappointed when I got my PS3 controller and found out that Windows 7 sees all controllers as an XBox 360 controller. Even for OpenGL development in Windows it sees the PS3 controller as just an XBox 360 controller that's wired weird.

The important thing is that you're developing for a controller. I pretty much won't buy a PC game unless it's made to use a controller. I've been known to return games on more than one occasion ONLY because the game had no controller input.

The biggest recommendations I have....

Support both DInput and XInput if possible. I think Unity supports both seamlessly, though I understand that other input systems on the asset store do as well.

Support custom inputs...one of my biggest things about a game is that it lets me choose what button does what, instead of forcing defaults. This also applies with keyboard, mouse, and joysticks. I don't really care if the game has different configurations available as default, as long as I can make my own choices.

Unity is reworking their input system, not sure if there is an ETA for te new system. But until then you should consider using something like InControl https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/content/14695 (there is a free older version on github), to support most controllers. But yeah 360 used to be the standart, now I think it's XboxOne. I still use 360 at home, but XboxOne at the office. And honestly can't tell the difference (except for the design). But then again, I don't handle input at my job.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement