• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dutpas

game programming on multiple platforms with javafx

This topic is 717 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I have finished a game for PC. But,my ultimate aim is to move it now on mobile. Java (especially JavaFX) seems to be a good choice to do that, even if the code will not be native,at the end. Therefore, some Java performance constraints have been applied to get a "quick game".

Now, with some "small adaptations" of my Java game for PC (tuning), I hope to move it on mobile.

Otherwise, there are a lot of books and web information about how to produce a game on mobiles. So,I am a little bit disoriented

I want to adapt the game for the  three representative platforms for mobiles (android, ios, windows phone). Could you provide to me information or recent books references  about means to develop, test and deploy an mobile application.

My main tool is Eclipse

Thank your for your response

Advertisement

JavaFX doesn't works on any mobile platform as it is (iOS, Windows Phone, and Android). Unless you buy something like Gluon Mobile (dunno if you can use their JavaFX port individually).

Also Java as it is, right now, since Xamarin bought RoboVM, and Microsoft bought Xamarin, which in turn canned RoboVM, has some rough patches when trying to run it in iOS.

There is BugVM, which is a fork of RoboVM. That might work. Not with JavaFX though, desktop UI libs weren't ported.

There is also Intel's Multi OS Engine, which it seems it will allow you to run stuff on iOS, but no JavaFX.

So all you're left with is libGDX probably, they have some iOS targeting strategy that I'm not knowledgeable about. Then again, no JavaFX, you'll be using whatever libGDX has to do everything.

TL;DR: No JavaFX on mobile, you need to target the UI libs of each platform individually or target the compatibility layer whatever means you end up using to run your app in iOS.

.. As for Windows Phone, you're out of luck I guess.

JavaFX doesn't works on any mobile platform as it is (iOS, Windows Phone, and Android). Unless you buy something like Gluon Mobile (dunno if you can use their JavaFX port individually).

Also Java as it is, right now, since Xamarin bought RoboVM, and Microsoft bought Xamarin, which in turn canned RoboVM, has some rough patches when trying to run it in iOS.

There is BugVM, which is a fork of RoboVM. That might work. Not with JavaFX though, desktop UI libs weren't ported.

There is also Intel's Multi OS Engine, which it seems it will allow you to run stuff on iOS, but no JavaFX.

So all you're left with is libGDX probably, they have some iOS targeting strategy that I'm not knowledgeable about. Then again, no JavaFX, you'll be using whatever libGDX has to do everything.

TL;DR: No JavaFX on mobile, you need to target the UI libs of each platform individually or target the compatibility layer whatever means you end up using to run your app in iOS.

Thank you for your response. I am "sad":

JavaFX (with its multiple transitions) is a very good solution for producing a dynamic game. I don't know why it is not widespread in the mobile tools.

But, perhaps, it exists another solution (that you have not mentioned): "codename one".

This product seems to generate from Java (and JavaFX) a program dedicated to each kind of mobile?

I need to look deeper into this solution. And, perhaps, have you a feedback about it?

Regards

Regards

If you want to port your game to mobile in Java, your best option is libgdx, as TheChubu says. I don't think it supports Windows Phone yet (or if it will ever), but it will perform better than a framework tailored to develop apps instead of games, like codename is (also, I wouldn't trust any framework with a website as slow and unnecessarily bloated as codename one's, but that's my personal opinion). Try some tutorials and see how it feels.

Edit: if your game isn't rendering a lot of stuff, and using physics and needs to run at least at 30 fps, codename one might do the trick. I guess it's worth a try if you think you'll be more comfortable with it than with libgdx.

Edited by Avalander

But, perhaps, it exists another solution (that you have not mentioned): "codename one". This product seems to generate from Java (and JavaFX) a program dedicated to each kind of mobile?
I dont see any mention of JavaFX in their site. My guess is that they provide their own UI compatibility layer. 

JavaFX (with its multiple transitions) is a very good solution for producing a dynamic game. I don't know why it is not widespread in the mobile tools.
CodenameOne's site itself has a "comparison" page where they discuss why JavaFX on mobile isnt a good idea. You should research your options better. 

Since you already have something done and working in FX, I wouldn't write off Gluon so quickly without at least trying it.  The Codename One comparison might be truthful, it might even be perfectly accurate, but they are most certainly a biased party to get your information from.  

Codename One does talk about JavaFX in some areas I've seen, and it's always negative, arguably just FUD depending on your own outlook on tech.  Again, there could be bias coming into play with their analysis there.  I've noticed a few areas where they seem to be trying to pass speculation/conjecture off as hard facts.  

I'm not sure if there are any big catches to the free version of Gluon (or if even they consider the product viable for games), but it doesn't look like you need to buy it to try it out.  Given that you already have something developed in FX, it seems crazy not to at least look into it.  

Gluon might be a riskier option than a "real" port (i.e. much more work) but it likely provides a better ROI if it works for you.  

If it doesn't, you might need to look deeper into a rewrite in libGDX unless you're willing to radically change your strategy.

Edited by Tebriel

Thank you for your response. I am "sad":

But, perhaps, it exists another solution (that you have not mentioned): "codename one".

This product seems to generate from Java (and JavaFX) a program dedicated to each kind of mobile?

I need to look deeper into this solution. And, perhaps, have you a feedback about it?

Regards

Regards

Thank a lot for your feedback:

Codename One, libgdx or Gluon ; three solutions that could match to the specifications : "Not to much effort for adapting my game from PC to mobile"

NB: My game is very configured for easing its adaptation BUT if I do use another classes than javaFX ones (except their functionalities were similar), it would be very embarrassing.

NB: My game is very configured for easing its adaptation BUT if I do use another classes than javaFX ones (except their functionalities were similar), it would be very embarrassing.

Don't be embarrassed! Why would you be embarrassed for not using JavaFX, that's completely unnecessary emoting. Use the best UI layer you have available on each platform.

For Windows phone you should look at either Xaml or DirectX or one of the engines that support that platform.

Don't be embarrassed! Why would you be embarrassed for not using JavaFX, that's completely unnecessary emoting. Use the best UI layer you have available on each platform.

For Windows phone you should look at either Xaml or DirectX or one of the engines that support that platform.

Thank you for helping me about this problem. But, I don' want to dedicate the product to each kind of mobile platforms.

My first aim was/is to be independent of each platform. I hope it is not unrealistic.

JavaFX was a good idea for "easily" producing a mock-up on PC .. even if I already saw some limitations in real time on PC.

But, as JavaFX is not supported by mobile tools, my aim is NOW to get tools that have similar libraries, especially Transitions (sequential, translate, rotation, fade, scale and, why not, parallel and path). If it exists, I think I get them.

Codename One seems to include some of these concepts. I am waiting for their response about these transitions.

If you know other tools that could fit the purpose, I would be very happy

Thank you

Regards

Turns out at least someone is claiming Gluon can support gaming - this is a session description from the recent JavaOne conference: 

JavaFX features a powerful and expressive API and is an ideal technology for prototyping addictive game concepts. This session explores simplistic but exciting game concepts and creates amazing prototypes that integrate self-made game assets. The presentation covers exotic game physics such as magnetism and point masses and implements simple but amazing effects. It uses Gluon’s JavaFXPorts to port the iOS game Monochrome Wars to JavaFX, which makes it possible to run the game on desktop and mobile devices.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!