• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MichaelElmquist

Starter Question

This topic is 651 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! 

I'm generally new to these forums, but I'll probably be around a while. Unless I'm not, then I won't be. 

Anyway, I'm a composer doing work for a couple other games, but I also really want to make my own game. I have an idea that SEEMS like it wouldn't be insanely tough to accomplish, but I have virtually no experience, so I wanted to ask.

What are the easier/tougher parts of, 

- Isometric grid-based games (like disgaea, ff tactics)

- 2-D side scroller

- Top down/semi-top down

I've downloaded Unity, and began doing a rudimentary 2-D side scrolling tutorial, and I was getting the hang of it pretty quick. Of course I understand that's not even the tip of the iceberg, but the point is I felt comfortable using the program. 

Any tips from people who are familiar with any of these styles would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance!

Advertisement

IMO the animation would be the hardest part of all of those, but it depends which parts you have a natural aptitude for.  An experienced animator might find writing the story or designing the math/physics side of the combat/movement to be harder.

While I'm always happy to see new Disgaea-style games come into existence, I feel like I ought to ask: have you considered doing a simpler sound-based game first?

Michael,
Are you asking technology questions? If so, those need to be asked in For Beginners, not Game Design.
Are you asking if those are hard to make, or hard to design?

Okay, sunandshadow, that's sort of what I was thinking. I'll probably find something more difficult - like the math portion - rather than the art side. I have had music based game ideas, but they end up being even more complicated. I suppose I should reconsider work-shopping them and plan them for a starting game. Thank you for your advice!

Oh, I apologize Tom. Can you please move this to 'For Beginnings' then? I've also since read the 'Forum FAQ' link.

Edited by MichaelElmquist

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!