• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Syerjchep

What's it called when you resize an image to dimensions that are not a factor of the original image's dimensions?

This topic is 658 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I'm making a 2d game where there's a part of the interface that's supposed to display a tilemap. And I'm writing a map displayer that can be resized by the user. It's pretty obvious that if you have a map display that's twice as large as the map, you simply give each tile two pixels. And if you have a display that's half the size map you take every two pixels and average their color together. But what happens if your display is one third the size of the map, or 1.5 times the size of the map? Can someone provide me with a starting point to learn about this?

Advertisement

Stretching? Sampling is a popular method for doing this, with some form of interpolation/filtering. Point aka near filtering means you pick the color of the closest pixel, linear filtering means you do some form of interpolation between the closest pixels.

Most engines, frameworks and/or graphics libraries will provide you with methods for this built in, so what are you using?

Edit: The easiest way to get good results might be to draw the map using a fixed predefined size onto a new image/buffer, then stretch that one.

Edited by DvDmanDT

The technical term for this is "resampling", also known as "scaling". The basic process goes like this:

for each destination pixel:
   for each source pixel in some radius around the sample location:
       read source pixel
       compute reconstruction filter weight
       multiply source pixel with filter weight
       add result to running sum
   output sum as destination pixel

Like the above poster mentioned, most CPU-based graphics frameworks/libraries will have functionality for doing this. GPU's can also do it in hardware, but they only support two types of reconstruction filters (box filter AKA "point sampling", and triangle filter AKA "bilinear filtering").

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!