My tool allocates more memory than Windows has available, how to warn user?

Started by
11 comments, last by DvDmanDT 7 years, 6 months ago

Hi,

I have a tool that depending on input may need huge amounts of memory. The problem is that the system may run out of memory. The default configuration of Windows starts swapping at this point, and when that's not enough, the default configuration causes a dynamic resize of the swap file, which effectively freezes the entire system. On 32 bit Windows, the address space eventually runs out and allocations fail, causing my app to receive a System.OutOfMemoryException, but that may not happen on 64-bit Windows. At least not in acceptable time. The result is that my app can cause the system to freeze for an unknown amount of time where the only out is a hard reset. I personally think this is a bad and dangerous behavior of Windows, at least for a default, but it is what it is so I need a workaround. It's not realistic to reduce memory usage or switch to some file based solution, manual or memory mapped files.

What I want to do at this point is to warn the user when the app is about to use large amounts of memory and ask for confirmation before continuing. To do this, I need to figure out how much memory is "safe" to use at the moment. If the user has 4GB is his system, then perhaps I should only use 1.5GB before warning. If the user has 32GB, I could likely use 20+ without issues. I should probably have some level of respect for other applications running.

How would you do this? What system and application properties should I be looking at? Working set, virtual memory usage, commit size, etc?

Advertisement
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.visualbasic.devices.computerinfo(v=vs.110).aspx

I would recommend checking available memory as your limit for safe memory allocation.
My current game project Platform RPG

I have a tool that depending on input may need huge amounts of memory.

Does it _need_ it? Can you break the input into smaller pieces and process them individually? Computers have been used for processing huge data sets that don't fit entirely within RAM since their conception and this is still how your typical database server works, among many other things.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

You could write parts of the memory you are using to a file, I doubt you need 2 gb of memory all the time. This is slower tho. Guess you could also write some kind of compresser for memory.

Choose some reasonable default, but give the user some command-line switches to tune their memory use -- they might be OK starving other apps of memory more than your default, or might need tighter defaults.

Its really not possible to chunk the data up? Perform the operation in passes? Is there any data that goes cold for a time? -- it could be compressed, even if you're not willing to write it out to a file (compression can cost, but decompression is often fast enough that it can beat out uncompressed reads because of bandwidth limitations).

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I would definitely suggest analyzing how and why you're using that much memory before thinking about adding special cases for limited RAM. Adding special cases will just make your app harder to maintain and potentially add even more things that can go wrong.

File based operation is not realistic at all right now. Splitting the input into smaller chunks will be possible at some point in the future, but not soon enough, and doing that mat degrade the usefulness of the tool. Imagine having a giant map and the tool was meant to show pathfinding data, but had to load only parts of the navmesh at a time. There are lots of paths you could find/see, but there are also some paths that couldn't be found/displayed. The results would still be useful but incomplete, and sometimes those missing pieces are what matters.

What we need is a quick and hopefully temporary way to not crash the users system when that system can't handle the input, without limiting operation on systems that can handle it.

There might be something buried in the Windows Management Instrumentation system that you can access from C# that gives you enough information to make that kind of decision. I haven't used it very frequently, nor for memory, but I suspect what you're looking for will be in there if it's anywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Management_Instrumentation

(edit: I typed "Media" instead of "Management", sorry)

My limited experience using it is that it's SUPER complicated to use, but there's an incredible amount of data you can get from it.

Imagine having a giant map and the tool was meant to show pathfinding data, but had to load only parts of the navmesh at a time. There are lots of paths you could find/see, but there are also some paths that couldn't be found/displayed. The results would still be useful but incomplete, and sometimes those missing pieces are what matters.

In this situation I would say that you need to use hierarchical pathfinding, as if you attempt to use a flat navmesh that takes more than several GB of memory to represent, you're in for a bad time.

If that's not your actual problem space, well, the advice still applies; you are looking at trying to brute-force a problem that almost assuredly has elegant algorithmic solutions that use far less resources and are amenable to streaming or other dynamically loaded setups.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Also... Who are your users? If this is a quick-fix you're looking for to act as a band aid until a fundamentally better solution can be worked out, and if your users are internal or expected to have an IT budget, it could well be that the cheapest, most-expedient solution might be "buy more RAM" or "Rent some time on a big VM in the cloud".

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement