• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
yevheniy

City-building strategy game in development - Ostriv

This topic is 483 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

Looks good!

I really like the sound of that road system, and I'm a big fan of city builders with lots of simulation going on.

Will the player place every house, or do you place key buildings and define areas to build in?

Looks good!

I really like the sound of that road system, and I'm a big fan of city builders with lots of simulation going on.

Will the player place every house, or do you place key buildings and define areas to build in?

Thanks! Yes, the player places every building. I think SimCity-like zoning system would be an oversimplification for small-scaled cities and doesn't really fit to my setting.

However citizens can build some small objects on their yards for their personal needs. I want to make buildings look more alive with details showing you there's really something going on, that they are not just static models.

Also when citizens want to start their own business (like build a tavern or some kind of workshop) the player chooses the place for it (making sure that the place satisfies them)

I really, -really- dig those snow-covered houses. The game generally looks very beautiful !

The animation feels cool and smooth too, maybe the horse looks a little "stiff" but that's about it and I assume people won't spend their time zooming on the horse lmao

I'll look forward to see the game's progression :)

I really, -really- dig those snow-covered houses. The game generally looks very beautiful !

The animation feels cool and smooth too, maybe the horse looks a little "stiff" but that's about it and I assume people won't spend their time zooming on the horse lmao

I'll look forward to see the game's progression :)

Glad to hear you like it, and, yes, you're absolutely right about the horse animation. I think I'll need to come back to it a bit later, as well as make driver look less rigid.

And about the snow, I'm currently waiting for winter to come, so I can take some pictures of snow and make it look much better :wink:

Okay, so yet another month of development has passed and a lot of new things added to the game. Not that lot to show though, because most of things were about secret inner workings of the simulation, game saving and path finding. But, anyway, my development approach implies never getting stuck on same task for too long to save productivity. So there's a bunch of new buildings and visual improvements to show. You can read more on my site or IndieDB with one of these links:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/ostriv/news/new-buildings-in-ostriv
http://ostrivgame.com/new-buildings-and-visual-improvements/

Here are some of new screenshots:

hemp.jpg

spring.jpg

Don't forget to like me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter

Looking forward to hear from you!

It could use more color.  Maybe wildflowers or random flower beds, flags, and other decorations by the houses?  I'd like to see what kind of decorations are popular in ukranian culture. :)  The sky also could use some randomized colors, like pink and orange streaks

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!