Junior Dev Job Interview: Which shirt do you think would be best?

Started by
17 comments, last by Spinningcubes 7 years, 6 months ago

Hello everyone,

I have an interview with a company next week. I'd love to work with them. I want to do all that I can to help my cause.

I've heard that you should help the interviewer see you in the position and see you as fitting in. This has me thinking maybe wearing a shirt with their latest game release could help. It'd show enthusiasm and excitement, and a lot of their team members are probably wearing one.

But then I wonder maybe it's too desperate and could rub them the wrong way, and I should just go a safer route.

Another thought is to wear a shirt of a popular Mexican food joint about 10 minutes away. This could help get conversations started & help them see me as a local.

The last option is a plain black shirt, but that seems kind of forgettable... What do you think?

Advertisement

Best bet for a first interview is almost always to dress professionally. No offense intended, but if you're trying to rely on a shirt to make them remember you, you've already lost. You need to be the one showing enthusiasm and excitement, not your attire. That's what will make you memorable. You should have ample opportunities during the interview to work in discussion of their latest game, and even the local food joint. The important thing is to have something worthwhile to say. Being a Dev position, the talking points better be largely technically oriented.

You need to be the one showing enthusiasm and excitement ... That's what will make you memorable. You should have ample opportunities during the interview to work in discussion of their latest game, and even the local food joint. The important thing is to have something worthwhile to say.

Great points. I feel a bit silly for asking about shirts, but I think that's just my detail oriented propensity. Everything says something and has an effect. But, to your point, it won't do much. Reminds me of the 80/20 rule. It's a better use spending that energy reviewing. But to the other side, clothes do matter. They help form first impressions and people like to find data that conforms to their preconceived notions. So essentially use them to help the interviewers develop that initial bias in your favor. Then give them all the data possible to confirm that bias. Granted you'd still have to do well. Either way, attire does play a part so, why throw that communication opportunity away? But I see your point. It's not like a shirt is going to make it a yes or a no. If you're borderline it'll probably just be a no.

I have never docked points from someone showing up to an interview because they have overdressed.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Doesn't matter what you wear.

As long as you are neat and clean.

If they choose their employees by what clothes they wear then I wouldnt even think about working there.

You want to be somewhere in the range of [forgettable, sharp dressed man]. Practically this usually means a nice collared shirt, dress pants or nice khakis (not cargos), and decent shoes. "Creative" choices are much more likely to hurt than help.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Hawaiian, obviously.

Mobile Developer at PawPrint Games ltd.

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

(Not "place" as in fish, but location.)

As mentioned above, you'll never get points docked for overdressing. We understand that you want to impress and show us that the interview is important to you. On the other hand, if you show up in a suit and tie when you're being interviewed by guys in t-shirts and shorts, you'll probably feel awkward and that usually affects the conversation. 'Smart casual' is a good choice for a games developer if you don't have any other indication either way. Your choice of t-shirt might raise a chuckle and positively incline someone towards you, but there is always more than enough technical data to make a decision on that alone.

wearing a shirt with their latest game release could help. It'd show enthusiasm and excitement, and a lot of their team members are probably wearing one

Nah, probably they're sick of that game and never want to see or hear of it again. :)

I usually ask for the dress code at the office and then dress a level above that. Generally works well enough so you don't feel overdressed and looks like you've made an effort.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Moving this to the appropriate forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement