• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[GML] Making Arcade Style Leaderboard in Game Maker Studio

This topic is 563 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I'm trying to figure out how to make a leaderboard in GML similar to Galaga or Donkey Kong. The problem is that every tutorial I've been able to find uses dialog boxes to enter the player's name. How can I do this without a dialogue box and have it within the main game window?

Advertisement

You will get better/more help on the GMC forums, but I can maybe help.

Your problem appears to be the part where you collect the player's name, I assume you are OK on the rest(if not feel free to say so).

There is a built-in system that can work pretty well for this.  If you access the variable called "keyboard_string" it will have the last 1024 characters typed.  It only stores the printable characters, and it even responds to the backspace key by deleting the last character.  So, you want an object that would control this stuff, drawing whatever the string is, and processing the name(moving on to the next step) when enter is pressed, or maybe the mouse button or GUI button is clicked on.  The object would first thing, delete the string(keyboard_string = ""), and then in the draw event, you would draw wherever you want to(maybe in the middle of the screen) the keyboard_string string.  As you type letters, hit backspace, etc... the string gets updated, so the drawing gets updated as well.  Then you respond to the enter key(or whatever) by taking the string and putting it into your database, ds_list, whatever you are using to store the names, and delete the object.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement