• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
joylio

How to make console-like GUI

This topic is 649 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone,

I'm making a text adventure game in C++ with VS2015, hoping to make a console-like GUI, where I plan to add some visual effects with OpenGL later. Similar example would be the control panel in Fallout, which is shown below. I'm hoping to create a content-only GUI, without the window edges, like Qt applications have. I'm wondering what GUI libraries could be best for these objectives? 

Anyone could offer help in this? I'll be very appreciated :D

maxresdefault.jpg

Advertisement

Hey Joylio,

The example your referencing is most likely a Render to Texture technique. (Notice the fish eye-lens effect of the display to simulate a bulged CRT monitor. It's most likely accomplished by what's known as a Shader.) Now if you mean like a Command prompt in a GUI, there is a way to "fake" it. Insofar as actually embedding a command prompt within a Window, i'm not sure if that's possible.

Basically you would make a sub-window, make it look like a console window, and then you would redirect console commands to this sub-window. (incidentally I did something like this in Java recently with Swing) There is documentation for this for Win32. But, you use QT so another member may be a bit more help there.

Here's a MSDN article for retrieving, and redirecting a handle to stdIn, out, and error. Take a gander, and don't let the ugly code sway you either way since this is for Win32, not QT. But, I can't imagine the overall flow would be terribly different (of course i've never used QT so who knows)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/190351

Marcus

I'm making a text adventure game in C++ with VS2015, hoping to make a console-like GUI, where I plan to add some visual effects with OpenGL later. Similar example would be the control panel in Fallout, which is shown below. I'm hoping to create a content-only GUI, without the window edges, like Qt applications have. I'm wondering what GUI libraries could be best for these objectives? 

A) You want this console window *inside* your game, or is this console window going to *be* your game?

B) You mentioned a "content-only GUI, without the window edges", could you show a screenshot of what you mean?

C) You mentioned Qt. Are you using Qt?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!