• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
louie999

Image getting pixelated when getting zoomed-in?

This topic is 644 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So, basically in the game I'm trying to create, what I want for the main part of the "map" is to be something like a map of europe/asia or something like that, something like a territory war game. My problem though is that, everytime I keep zooming in, the map keeps getting blurry/pixelated, is there a way to overcome this problem? Or perhaps I should look to other stuff like ".svg" files? I don't know much about the latter though.

Advertisement

Alberth, has a good point, however there is a simple way of fixing this that he didn't mention, a texture LOD. Texture LODs is how most games that give you world view, then allows you to zoom works. 

First you have your max zoomed out level, let's say a 1000m*1000m at 1024*1204 pixels. Now your 1000m zone is divided in ten for 10*(100m*100m) zones, each of these 10 zones have a texture of 1024*1024 and when zooming to the point where it gets blurry you swap the textures of the zones on screen; you can do a blending function to get a smooth transition.

When zoomed at any given time there will be a max of nine zones on screen.

The advantage of doing it this way is that you won't need to load a huge texture and then only render a small part of it, this way each zone can be divided into more zones and you can keep repeating the steps for a infinite zoom.

Or you can just do it the easy way and make some detail maps, the problem with this is that you are basically using noise to create details where there isn't any, this will be fine for grass and earthy terrain however cities and landmarks will not benefit from this.

Thanks for the replies guys! :) I think I'll do something like get different high-resolution maps of individual countries instead of a map of an entire continent then just render them separately.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!