• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fuRic

[Facebook] Is game request still worth to implement?

This topic is 709 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

As we all know spamming game request (e.g. request tickets to continue stages in Candy Crush) was almost a MUST in popular games, but nowadays less and less people are actually paying attention to these annoying notifications in Facebook (at least I do and blocked all of them).

And, I don't see any trending games doing this anymore (e.g. Clash Royale).

Should we still spend time implement it or is there a good way to do it?

Advertisement

The important thing is getting friends to play the same game and to allow some kind of interaction with other players.

Friend codes work, if you do use friend requests it should be a simple thing they can click to link a friend. Providing some kind of in game reward for X friends that are linked seams to work, especially if it is a unique item that can't be unlocked any other way.

I would also recommend a way for players to interact with other players and to see what good items friends have, no one wants to be the only player of a online game and interacting with others will show them people are playing. Showing them the items others have will cause a desire for items that will drive sales, this allows you to benefit from free players if you have any.

Edited by Scouting Ninja

As we all know spamming game request (e.g. request tickets to continue stages in Candy Crush) was almost a MUST in popular games, but nowadays less and less people are actually paying attention to these annoying notifications in Facebook (at least I do and blocked all of them).

And, I don't see any trending games doing this anymore (e.g. Clash Royale).

The reason games aren't doing it anymore is that Facebook changed their API so that you can no longer spam people.  

Previously if somebody signed into your mobile app with FB you could get a list of all their contacts and allow them to send game requests or even spam on their behalf.

Now you can only get a group of contacts if they have set in their security settings that they want game requests. Also you can no longer get the contacts if you only have a mobile app.  You must have a Facebook Canvas app if you want your mobile app to do friend requests.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!