In-Game Easy Feedbacks

Started by
3 comments, last by Orymus3 7 years, 6 months ago

I haven't posted in this sub-forum in quite some time, but I finally found something worth discussing I believe:

I'm looking for fresh ideas when it comes to easy feedback implementations.

I'm talking about feedbacks that can result from in-game interactions, but do not imply any inherent gameplay and only serve to add clear and concise feedback for the player.

For example:

- Camera shake: Generally related to an explosion or when the player is hurt (regardless of whether this is in first person)

- "Sprite" shake: may occur when an onscreen enemy is hurt but not killed, or to indicate that the enemy is impervious to this form of attack

- Bounce: May indicate that something has become active or require user attention.

- Fade to/from white or red: Also used in unit damage feedback under some circumstances.

- Rapid flip: may sometimes be used in lieu of a low quality attack animation (alternating left/right) in a static environment

etc.

Counter-examples:

- Knockback: This is a simple attack feedback, but it has gameplay ramifications (adding distance between the attacker and defender to increase delay)

Anyone has other examples of simple feedbacks and what they're used for in (primarily 2D) games?

Advertisement

Sounds as well as visual color changes are commonly used to indicate things like: health is dangerously low, energy is full, an enemy has just entered your detection range or has detected you, you have successfully stealthed and stopped being detected by anyone, a hidden treasure is nearby, you are under a status ailment such as poison, you have successfully taken an action with good timing, possibly adding to a combo chain...

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Anyone has other examples of simple feedbacks and what they're used for in (primarily 2D) games?

Almost any special effect is a form of feedback. If it told the player absolutely nothing you wouldn't bother coding it. And since you're talking about bling bling chrome as opposed to game mechanics that have some impact on gameplay (like knockback), there's no need to code it except as feedback for the benefit of the player. So it would seem that the answer is that any chrome that conveys info as opposed to mere immersion is a form of feedback.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

2 more basic examples I've seen.

1) Flicker: Think of when megaman gets hit. In addition to his reelback sprite image and a hit-sound, he flickers (rapidly switches from fully visible to fully transparent). It's another visual queue to indicate you're in hit-stun.

2) Button glow: An alternative to the bounce animation you listed. The button doesn't move, but instead has a glow around it indicating it's ready. (this may be tougher to implement depending on how well you want to exemplify the glow effect).

Here's an over-the-top flashy example:

Use an after-image effect to show high speed movement!

ZesshouHohou.gif

Mend and Defend

2 more basic examples I've seen.

1) Flicker: Think of when megaman gets hit. In addition to his reelback sprite image and a hit-sound, he flickers (rapidly switches from fully visible to fully transparent). It's another visual queue to indicate you're in hit-stun.

2) Button glow: An alternative to the bounce animation you listed. The button doesn't move, but instead has a glow around it indicating it's ready. (this may be tougher to implement depending on how well you want to exemplify the glow effect).

Here's an over-the-top flashy example:

Use an after-image effect to show high speed movement!

ZesshouHohou.gif

I actually used that in an arcade spaceship prototype after watching a Castlevania: SOTN speedrun and it does an amazing job at showcasing rapid movement without actually making movement any faster.

Great additions, Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement