• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
IsItSharp

Arrange 2D areas on a given surface in the most effective way

This topic is 642 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

i am wondering how i could arrange 2D areas with given width and height in the most effective way (no overlapping) on a surface (also with a given width and height)? I have literally no clue where and how i should start. I visualized my intentions with a small image.

Edited by IsItSharp

Advertisement

Thanks a lot for the hint. I googled a bit and came up with this code:

def arrange():
    global index
    if(index == len(rList)):
        return 0
    rect = rList[index]
    for i in range(0,len(freeNodesList)):
        node = freeNodesList[i]
        if(node.width >= rect.width and node.height >= rect.height): #rectangle fits inside the node
            freeNodesList.pop(i) #remove current node because it's going to be filled
            rect.sX = node.sX
            rect.sY = node.sY

node.rectangle = rect
            node.width = rect.width
            node.height = rect.height

child1 = Node(wW-(node.sX+node.width),node.height,node.sX+node.width,node.sY)
            freeNodesList.append(child1)
            if(wH-(node.sY+node.height) > 0): #there is still space left to the top
                child2 = Node(wW,wH-(node.sY+node.height),0,node.sY+node.height)
                freeNodesList.append(child2)
            index += 1
            break;
        else: #current node doesn't fit
            continue

But it is not working as expected. The problem is, that i generate two new nodes after every rectangle and that those nodes don't consider the already placed rectangles. I made a short gif which should show that problem:

So basically i have to check for every node if there is already a rectangle which shrinks the originally intended space. The next problem would be to combine two free nodes if there is a rectangle which can only be placed if those two nodes are combined.

I would really appreciate it if someone could explain to me how i can solve those problems.

Best regards

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!