Artworks for the fantasy video game

Started by
94 comments, last by Awoken 7 years ago

Here's a few artworks created by my teammates for the forthcoming RPG/TBS Ash of Gods.

8470743.png

8467671.jpg

8475862.jpg

8465622.png

How do you think, are these images conclusive enough to be implemented in the game?

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling aimed at risks that TRUELY affect the gameplay and an extensive online PvP mode! GameDev.net - forum thread
Advertisement

Am I correct in assuming it's the same artist from The Banner Saga?

The first image: The rib cage is to high, combined with the mask it feels like the character isn't a human. When ever you hide a part of the image it makes the rest a larger focus.

Second image: Really like this one, shows the age very well with out wrinkling it to a point where you can't see the structure.

Third image: Tribal was my first instinct then I noticed the similar decoration to image two, now all I am thinking about is the connection.

Last image: A bit bland for my taste, a cookie cutter character. Because the character has no sense of self she really reminds me of Ciri.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d3/03/b1/d303b10a8e782ec63f58a73129fc8e96.jpg

In fact if I combined image two and four it would be Ciri, however image two has enough character and personality that she won't be thought of as Ciri unless image four is also near.

How do you think, are these images conclusive enough to be implemented in the game?

The quality is great, however I will not be the only person to point out the similarities between the Witcher.

You can keep character four just as is, there will be a lot of fans happy with that. If instead you want to make the game have more of it's own personality you only need to make a small change because Ciri is a cookie cutter character, like just give the girl some color for the clothes or change the sword into anything else.

My choice would have been to add a bright colored rag doll on her, followed by a cheerful childhood.

I would like to see the first one the size it will be in game. The details look good as it is now but its still a bit big for a rpg game character. So i am curious what will be lost when actual size is implemented.

Thank you, guys. I will convey your comments to our artists.

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling aimed at risks that TRUELY affect the gameplay and an extensive online PvP mode! GameDev.net - forum thread

Am I correct in assuming it's the same artist from The Banner Saga?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it's not him, we have different artists.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it's not him, we have different artists.

I think it's the bleak atmosphere that makes it feel the same as The Banner Saga.

The game looks interesting and has me mulling over the characters.

Now that I found the other posts and read the backstories I can tell you that the art delivers exactly what is expected. I will be watching the progress of the game and looking for the connection between Dorphal and Amma, I hope it's a good story.

I hope it's a good story.

We have a professional writer in our team (this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Malitsky), so the story itself definitely should be good)

The newest one from our creative department, the guard named Rumlin. What can you say about this artwork?

8494945.png

Third image in the first post immidiatly reminded me of the Blacksmith character in the Unity Blacksmith Demo for Unity 5 ... I actually had to go and check if it wasn't the exact same character. In the end, some differences, most probably its the skin tone, the bare upper torso and the black eyes that made the two characters look so similar upon first inspection:

http://i1.wp.com/www.cgmeetup.net/home/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/The-Blacksmith-Unity-5-3.jpg

Other than that, I like the visual style, I like some of the character features but save for character 1 and 3, I would go for more defining features. I wouldn't go as far as to call the design bland, but as long as they are important NPCs or Player characters, I would say they deserve to stand out a little bit more.

Third image in the first post immidiatly reminded me of the Blacksmith character in the Unity Blacksmith Demo for Unity 5

Yes, you're not the first who points out the similarities with Blacksmith. But actually we developed this character (btw his name is Dorpkhal the Reaper) and in his first editions he looked completely different. As for me personally, I rather would put him on one desk with Clive Barker's Cenobites than with Unity's Blacksmith )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement