problems with music

Started by
0 comments, last by TMRodrigues 7 years, 6 months ago

So i'm a beginning solo developer and i'm having real trouble trying to learn how to compose game music. There are close to no tutorials on this and the ones i find aren't very useful to me. I don't know music theory and i don't play any instrument and i could see that being the problem but i just wanted to see what other people have to say about it. I've tried to use musescore and lmms and i just couldn't make anything that sounds even remotely good. I did find a guide online about writing music that doesn't suck and it helped a bit but it was still bad. So i'd love to hear what you guys think i should do and maybe some advice as to where i can find it

Advertisement

Hey there!

Nowadays there are tons of tools you can use to make music and I know how that can be quite staggering. Hopefully I can help you out a little! :)
If you'll allow me, may I ask what kind of goals do you have in regards to music composition? I take it you want to learn so you can compose for your own games, right? What kind of music would you want to create?
I think that getting started would be easier for you, if you knew exactly what you're going for instead of having the general and broader goal of "composing music". For example, you may want to create aTechno track so you'll research how to do that specifically. Every genre has its quirks so narrowing it down can go a long way!

Starting out can be overwhelming and seeing you're not comfortable with music theory, I would suggest straying away from notation software like Musescore.

Have you heard about Studio One Prime? It is a free and entry version of their software that comes with limited instruments and effects. I think it would be a cool software to get you started!

Additionally, what kind of obstacles are you facing when trying to compose? Feel free to share what's on your mind!

Composer and Sound Designer

Tiago Rodrigues
Website

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement