3d representations

Started by
5 comments, last by l0calh05t 7 years, 6 months ago

Could you list all the 3d representaitions you know? For example I know high order surfaces, polygonal, and signed distance fields. Do you know any others?

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

Advertisement
Could you list all the 3d representaitions you know?

Yes, however the few I know would still take an hour to recite, why not just google "math topology"?

What is it you are attempting?

Yes, however the few I know would still take an hour to recite, why not just google "math topology"?

A google search for "math topology" brings up the field of math known as topology which has nothing to do with 3d representations. Do you have a better search term?

edit - also if you list a few of the more esoteric ones I'd be grateful. Just remembered point clouds.

What is it you are attempting?

I trying to learn the advantages and disadvantages of all the different representations to see if any have advantages that can be exploited.

Off the top of my head: Voxels, metaballs, parametric equations, subdivision surfaces, NURBS. Is that the kind of thing you were looking for?

Yeah thats basically what I mean although doesn't NURBS fall under high order surfaces?

Yeah thats basically what I mean although doesn't NURBS fall under high order surfaces?

Maybe. I'm not sure what "order" means in this context. Does it just mean "degree"?
  • Boundary representations
    • Triangular/polygonal meshes
    • NURBS and other spline/higher-order surfaces
    • Subdivision surfaces
  • Volumetric representations
    • Tetrahedral/polyhedral meshes
    • Voxels
    • Trivariate NURBS and other spline/higher-order volumes
    • Subdivision volumes
  • Other representations
    • Primitives (spheres, cylinders)
    • Implicit surfaces (signed distance functions, metaballs etc.)
    • Constructive solid geometry

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement