• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DevTucker

Unity Decent engine for Top-down games?

This topic is 622 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Before we get started, I should let people know that this is not my first game project and I'm not without experience. I've created 2D and 3D games using Java, C#, JavaScript (WebGL), Unity, and Unreal Engine(3D Only). I've created my own networking platforms for both TCP and RUDP in Java and I feel that they can withstand any networking load that my games may generate, as I've tested them before with 8,000 simultaneous players. (Paid test) 

I'm looking to create a Top-down style game similar to that of Stick Arena, or Hunger Dungeon if anyone is familliar with the new release. 

maxresdefault.jpg

It's a very simple top-down action combat game. 

Currently I'm debating between either using Unity, or using JavaFX to create the game, what are your opinions and why?

Advertisement

Just so you are aware I have developed with Unity before, I have heard of JavaFX but not developed anything with it, although I have done Java development.

Same

• Both will allow you to create a game that uses networking and also deploy to a range of different platforms, as well as providing you with a maths library (including transforms, camera etc.).
  • Can do 2D and 3D with both.

This would be a bigger list, but the differences are what you will make your decision. 

Different

• How much time do you want to spend setting up your project? If you go for JavaFX you will need to set up a window and all the other things that you will need. Whereas, with Unity you can just jump into working on writing the code for your game and creating levels etc. I believe that you would waste a lot of time on creating a window and other basic things if you use JavaFX.
  • I don't think this is the case with JavaFX, but Unity also provides you with a way to manage your assets in a fairly easy to use GUI. If your handwriting all of the game code you're going to be writing your own importers or getting libraries to do this and hard coding their positions etc. If you used Unity, you can just drag and drop into the scene.
  • Unity Asset Store, if you need assets you can find free and pay for assets.

You stated that you have used Java and C# before so picking one over the other due to your knowledge of languages shouldn't make much of a difference, also you said you have experience with game engines like Unity so you wouldn't need to learn how to use it to get working on your project. Based on this and some of the differences I stated above, personally, I would be looking at using Unity. Game engines are designed to aid in the creation of games, although it can be nice to create everything you can spend a lot of time reinventing the wheel.

Hello,I don't know too details about LibGdx much but it is said to fit perfectly that kind of project. That is for the Java side, but if you choose to go C, you have excellent libs in Allegro and SDL. And the same for C++ with SFML. All they are perfectly suited for the task of making videogames with the feeling of the image you posted.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!