Drawing solid triangle

Started by
13 comments, last by fais 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm trying to draw a cube using software rendering. So I have I'm drawing a cube out of triangles. So I render a solid triangle. The cube is rendered successfully, but there are flicker while rotating it.

here is my solid triangle filling, can somebody notice a problem in the algorithm?

void Rasterizer::DrawSolidTriangle(int x0, int y0, int x1, int y1, int x2, int y2, Color&color)
{
// Sort our points into order of y
// 0 top
// 2 middle
// 1 bottom
if (y1 < y0)
{
swap(y1, y0);
swap(x1, x0);
}
if (y2 < y0)
{
swap(y2, y0);
swap(x2, x0);
}
if (y1 < y2)
{
swap(y2, y1);
swap(x2, x1);
}

float xl_edge = (float)x0; // left edge
float xr_edge = (float)x0; // right edge

float dxldy;
float dxrdy;

float dxdy1 = (float)(x2 - x0) / (y2 - y0);
float dxdy2 = (float)(x1 - x0) / (y1 - y0);

if (dxdy1 < dxdy2)
{
dxldy = dxdy1;
dxrdy = dxdy2;
}
else
{
dxldy = dxdy2;
dxrdy = dxdy1;
}

// Top of the triangle
for (int y = y0; y<y2; y++)
{

for (int x = xl_edge; x<xr_edge; x++)
{
SetPixel((unsigned int)x, (unsigned int)y, color);

}//end for loop x

xl_edge = xl_edge + dxldy;
xr_edge = xr_edge + dxrdy;

}// end for loop y

// Bottom half of the triangle

if (dxdy1 < dxdy2)
{
dxldy = (float)(x2 - x1) / (y2 - y1);
}
else
{
dxrdy = (float)(x2 - x1) / (y2 - y1);
}

for (int y = y2; y<y1; y++)
{

for (int x = xl_edge; x<xr_edge; x++)
{
SetPixel((unsigned int)x, (unsigned int)y, color);
}//end for loop x

xl_edge = xl_edge + dxldy;
xr_edge = xr_edge + dxrdy;

}// end for loop y

} 

A91VK.png

Game Programming is the process of converting dead pictures to live ones .
Advertisement

your code is incredibly hard to follow as the names for variables is poorly chosen and there are not too much in the comments department.

also, what happens when some of your points have the same y value? step through your code and see if you can see what happens?

what is a bottom half and top half of triangle? what is a top, middle, and bottom point? perhaps draw a pic and put it with your post?

If it draws a triangle then probably it's alrgiht,

have you considered Z order for your triangles in the cube?

Your rasterizer only work so long as x0,y0 is at the top. Your code doesn't take the case of a horizontal top edge into consideration and fails at this point. This is why your cube is only being rendered as right triangles with the apex at the top.

@MarkS how would I fix it ? please ?

It isn't that I don't want to help, but this is a topic that is older than I am and I'll be 40 in March. Doctoral thesis were written on this subject up through the '90s. I would recommend you break this down into parts and try to solve each part. How would you scan convert a triangle with a flat bottom vs. a flat top vs. a general triangle? What tests would you need to perform? How should your code change?

I found multiple examples on Google in seconds, but I strongly recommend you not go this route. It is simple math and you're already part way there.

I wrote code to do this when I was 17, and it wasn't that hard back then. You just have to make sure you don't divide by 0.

I wrote code to do this when I was 17, and it wasn't that hard back then. You just have to make sure you don't divide by 0.

I wasn't clear. This isn't hard, but rather, VERY well documented and covered. It has been thoroughly researched over the course of the past 40+ years. He's right there. All he needs to do is change the logic a bit and cover the three cases.

so the problem is I'm not covering the third case ? a general triangle ?

so the problem is I'm not covering the third case ? a general triangle ?

No, the problem is that you are not covering the specific case of a flat top. There at at three specific cases that you must handle individually, flat top, flat bottom and general triangle. That is the easy part. Then you have to figure out how to handle the cases of a degenerate triangle, slivers and adjacent triangles with no overdraw.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement