New Horror Game: Psycho Night

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 7 years, 6 months ago

So in late 2015, I started development of a survival horror game called: Psycho Night. This is my first game, and I wanted the game to be spectacular! (Not a good choice at the time...) Anyway, I began development on the 3DRad Engine. If you know what 3DRad was, then you know it's not the best engine for a Survival Horror game. I did go very far in development, the game was going well. In late 2016 (recently) I hit issues on the engine. I didn't want to try and fix them, I felt it'd take too long. So I discussed with another developer about where to go. I was directed to Unity, and Unreal Engine. I chose Unreal Engine over Unity, due to the fact that I wanted the game to be High Quality in graphics, A cheap production, and to learn about a different engine. So now I made a forum topic about the game.

Psycho Night is based on Power Drill Massacre, and Inspired by Clock Tower. You play as a female protagonist attempting to escape a crazed killer chasing you. I want the game to play as Clock Tower (PS1), and Power Drill Massacre Combined. So you must be stealthy, solve puzzles, and try not to panic. (Or die...) If the killer finds you, run. Also, if you do get caught, I plan for a part in the game where you struggle to fight. (like in Clock Tower, when confronting Scissor Man.)

I do feel like I need help with many things in unreal engine, I don't want to spend money by buying extra software. I plan to work on the game as long as I need to. So I'd like to request help on how to do several things. I will make updates after some issues are fixed.

------------------------------------

*Animating a MakeHuman character. I have the character rigged in Game Engine bones on MakeHuman, and I also would like to know how to place animations on the character, getting/making animations, and controls. If I need to change the bones, let me know.

*Cutscenes. I need those to build a cinematic part of the game.

*Level design is needed. I want to do most models on my own, but my modeller seems to not be supported with Unreal Engine. Any free or cheap software recommendations for making levels with decent collision?

Games:

Clock Tower (PS1)

Power Drill Massacre

Screenshots of Psycho Night: (note: My old website had most pictures, but website was removed.)

3Drad Version: Jennifer's dead friend...

13124917_1222327521135050_72026146235403

3Drad: Chase Event

12662024_1153033298064473_23236026772337

GameJolt Page (Contains picture of a posed main character.)

--------------

P.S.: I have enough voice actors, artists, Music Designers, and Assistants.

Advertisement
*Animating a MakeHuman character. I have the character rigged in Game Engine bones on MakeHuman, and I also would like to know how to place animations on the character, getting/making animations, and controls. If I need to change the bones, let me know.

Animations is made in your 3D software. You export as .fbx the model then each animation can be exported as it's own animation or you can export all animations with the model and break them apart in Unreal.

You then use the animation blueprints and otter animation tools in Unreal to make the animations used in the game.

The rig(bones) you use doesn't matter as long as you can use them.

*Cutscenes. I need those to build a cinematic part of the game.

Google Unreal cutscenes and start there, honestly it's a difficult process almost as hard as making movies. I would advice keep it simple and short.

*Level design is needed. I want to do most models on my own, but my modeller seems to not be supported with Unreal Engine. Any free or cheap software recommendations for making levels with decent collision?

Blender, it's free and on par in modeling with 3ds Max. For importing and exporting use .fbx and build all materials in Unreal don't export them with the model. When exporting a mesh with more than one material, place basic materials in the slots and delete them when imported.

Avoid import errors by setting Smoothing to face and by always having a UV map.

Unreal has a auto tool for making concave collisions and you use a prefix for custom collisions, I can show you how to do it using Blender; it's very simple.

This post is off-topic in Game Design. Seems to me that the majority of the discussion points surround
visual arts. Moving thread to Visual Arts.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement