Pcars game to xbox1 and ps4

Started by
9 comments, last by BrianRhineheart 7 years, 6 months ago

Hi all,

There is a game out called Pcars, project cars, not that it matters what game, however, let us say a game like this was in development before xbox1 and ps4, and they were developing it for pc, xbox and ps3, then xbox1 and ps4 came out, so they stop work for xbox and ps3, and started work on xbox1 and ps4, in a rough estimate, how much work, in people and time would be needed and money to get the game working on xbox1 and ps4. Would put a link up but I can not, but the game is easy to find, and better than grand turismo and a we better than forza.

I have a real reason to ask this.

Wayne

Advertisement

Q. How much money, people and time would it take to make a driving game fox XB1 and PS4 that is also superior to Gran Turismo and Forza?

Hmm. Not really a "Game Programming" question, but let's see.

Rumor is that Gran Turismo 5 cost 60 million to develop. They're up to GT7 now, so... adjusting for inflation... carry the 'y'... *drum-roll*... 100 Million!, hire a few hundred people and in a few years I think we'd be looking at a new contender for GOTY.

I won't ask what the real reason is. I will respect your right to privacy.

Maybe I said it wrong, lets say a big game was made, and was all ready running and for xbox 360 and ps3, how much do you think it would cost to make it play on xbox1 and ps4 ???

Wayne

Here type in Pcar Launch Trailer, this game has been out over a year, and cost just 4M, but as I said was just wondering what it would cost if this game was just out on xbox 360 and ps3, but the people who made the game SMS, wanted to put it on xbox1 and ps4. Thank you for your time and help.

wayne

Maybe I said it wrong, lets say a big game was made, and was all ready running and for xbox 360 and ps3, how much do you think it would cost to make it play on xbox1 and ps4 ???

I've done 360/PS3 -> One/PS4 ports as a contract job before. At a complete guess, there's around six man-months of effort required in porting a large game engine to a new platform, so 12 man-months for two platforms.

A high skilled contractor for that kind of work might ask for $10k per man-month, so $120k total.
Or if you can find someone who can do it in half the time (a 3 month port per platform) and only charge $20/hr, the cost would be about $20k total...

(and that's just the technology -- if your art "isn't HD enough" and has to be updated, you might have to fork out $1M or more...)

So you want to port the game. Well, that's different. What engine are you using?

If you are a registered XB1/PS4 developer using Unreal Engine 4, for example, then I don't see why this would be an issue.

Hi Hodgman,

Thank you so much, $120, hmm, that's what I was hoping to hear. With the at, it's very good, Slightly mad Studios that made Pcars, have done Two very big games for Need For speed, Shift 1 and Shift to, so these games are in the top 10 of games out, so I don't thing the HDing would be an issue, could you check the Pcars launch trailer out {for some reson I can not paste in links} and tell me for yourself please, if you have time, and than you for your time and help.

Wayne

Hi Brian,

Its based on the in house madness engine, can not seem to send links, will get more on it, but as you see from last post, its mad some to class games, so do you think it would be a problem crossing over from the old to the new ???

Wayne

Thank you so much, $120, hmm, that's what I was hoping to hear.

You missed a k there. $120k == $120000.

What's the real reason that you're asking this? You've got a prev-gen game that you want ported to current-gen?

Also note that the cost can vary wildly for different games.

Some projects are well written, with all the platform-specific pieces located in convenient locations, and the file formats all have converters to the platform specific rules. There are minimal places in the code where hardware quirks are addressed outside of those platform-specific markers.

Some projects are a nightmare to port. The changes are scattered everywhere in code, with things like data flows through the hardware needing to be addressed in thousands of places. Entirely new toolchains need to be created. The code may rely on subtle behavior changes and side effects in other areas of code, which may take extensive effort and time to decode and address.

Changing a project under development to target a different hardware generation may range anywhere from a minor change (particularly if the project is early in development) to a major undertaking (particularly late in development).

There is no specific number. Hodgman's example of six man months per platform for that specific game may not apply to another project. Another project may require 2 or 10 or 20 or 50 man months per platform. For instance, if you were using Unity or Unreal as your engine for the platform and the code was designed to stick entirely within the engine's functionality, it may be less than a single man month to do the work since the engine directly supports everything. The number can range from a few hundred dollars (where it happens to just work perfectly) to several million dollars (where extensive work is required).

As the saying goes, the devil is in the details.

Also quoting this because it is an important question:

What's the real reason that you're asking this? You've got a prev-gen game that you want ported to current-gen?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement