When will DX11 become obsolete?

Started by
16 comments, last by Ravyne 7 years, 5 months ago

DX9 was around for several years and is still in use by some new games. DX10 seemed like a blip on the way to DX11, but now DX12 is out. My current project is using DX11, and I was wondering how long it will take to become obsolete.....

Advertisement

Hard to tell since DX12 is not considered the successor of DX11. They're meant to live each alongside other. DX12 being the "for experts" for dedicated teams and with large resources, while DX11 being more friendly and easier.

Though whether DX11 ends up decaying due to MS focusing more on DX12, time will only tell. Beware MS is still updating DX11. The last update for Direct3D11.4 was released on August 2016

As you say, DX9 is still in active use, so DX11 seems pretty safe.

DX10 is "dead" because there's no reason to use it -- DX11 includes a "D3D10 feature level", which allows it to act just like DX10.

When the XB1 is put to rest; ~2020-2021.

I'd say you don't have to worry at all, looking at when d3d9 was introduced and where we stand today.

Also I believe that the 'brídge' between DX11 and 12 is quite/even a bit bigger then DX9 to DX11.

From personal experience, moving from DX9 to 11 as a 'semi experienced/ hobbyist' programmer was quite OK, but when I look at DX12 versus DX11, for now I'll keep delaying that choice as long as I can :)

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

I don't see why my comment has to be down-voted.

The question wasn't about when DX11 will no longer be supported, but about when it will be considered obsolete.

Microsoft is pushing Win10 hard which uses DX12. XB1 uses DX11 so it will remain relevant until its production cycle ends, which is estimated to be about ~7 years, at which point their newest generation of consoles/windows might use DX12 or something else.

So, 2020-2021 is when you can expect for Microsoft to consider DX11 obsolete.

Does that answer seem fair to you? Or are you still panicking?

D3D11 is still the standard 3D API and is updated by MS, D3D12 is the low level 3D API and also updated by MS, we now have two MS API for the same task, depending on time/effort you pick one or the other, so I don't think it's going to vanish any time soon...

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

We shall see what API is used when TeslaP100s become the standard GPU in 3-4 years.

I don't care how many times I get down-voted for telling you the truth even when you don't like to hear it.

Asked a honest question, got an honest answer. (Again, question wasn't about "support", but instead about "obsolescence".)

[EDIT: Hehehe. More down-votes. Definitely struck a nerve. Keep 'em coming, won't change anything.]

Given that Directx12, Metal, and Vulkan are down to metal APIs. I'd say never.

As often times, you might find yourself not having enough reason to use Directx12, Metal, or Vulkan to begin with. As the trouble can easily not be worth the effort if your game or game engine does not push the system to its limits.

Remember that you can still get a LOT done with Directx9. And you can get even more work done with Directx11.

But if you are trying to do something like ashs of the singularity, you might need to use DX12 or Vulkan to free up time on your processor.

You mean to tell me; in an industry whereby whether a game runs at 1080p 60fps is considered "news of the day", and DX12 promising to provide extra performance over DX11, that DX11 won't become obsolete when the XB1 production cycle ends?

You seem stuck on the idea of "support" when I talk about "obsolete". Why is that?

And are you telling me that there won't be a new API to take advantage of P100's architecture in the future (a few years down the road)?

DX11 will share the stage with DX12 up until XB1 is finished. After that, DX12 will take center stage, if not something else.

You will still likely be able to use DX11 by then, but it will be considered; hmm, what's the word I'm looking for, oh yes, "obsolete".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement