Sign in to follow this  

starfield on 2d space game

This topic is 417 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The big question I need help to answer is if making the starfield move or not.

The problem I have is that with a static starfield the game feels too empty, I can't explain it better but fixing the background only the ships, shoots, explosions and some base feels too few to fill the screen.

Making the starfield move feels a lot unrealistic and wrong but on the other end it makes a sense of general movement, and with the same elements it gives a better feeling of completeness overall.

I studied many other games and they don't seem (imo) to have found any better solution, some fill the background with asteroids and crap, but I really dislike that both as realism (there aren't that many asteroids c'mon) and as boringness (really too many in some game), some have many planets which imo is equally ridicolous, I mean one planet is ok, maybe 1 moon but if you put too many if feels really forced.

Something I remember working quite nice visually had some human made background constructions, like starbases, some buidings had a sort of iceberg view that made the "playable part" be small and close and a bigger part feel like a background.

This was great, only it would require a lot of money and/or time to make.

Any other idea to help fill the world with "background" ideas different from asteroids and or a way to make the starfield work?

This topic is 417 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.