help me create a better picture (concept art)

Started by
3 comments, last by Gian-Reto 7 years, 5 months ago

hello friends) my name is Alexander and I'm a student..I need advice, criticism of my art .. how do I make them better. :lol:

Advertisement

Well, I find GameDev.net to be the awesomest place for programming discussions, and while I'd love to see it flourish in other areas, the truth is that for art stuff you'll find other forums more lively and useful. I'd recommend you head over to polycount.com or similar. Good luck.

The sunbeams, while cool, seem like they are washing out the dark areas in the pictures they are in. Maybe you could make them less fuzzy/diffuse? Also the light direction in the venetian blind room looks odd, maybe try a different direction. Maybe a puddle of rain water somewhere would be good in the kitchen picture. Or mushrooms.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Are these renders or real time game graphics?

If renders, you may want to watch out for excessive lighting and fog effects when switching to real time graphics. Offline renders can still do much more that real time game engines can in that respect.

Other than that, it look awesome and ready to go. from a gameplay standpoint, the untextured fourth image is what the player has to play with. in essence its just another room, and what it looks like doesn't matter (from a purely gameplay point of view). So a textured and lit environment such as the third screen shot should be plenty good enough.

and if you doing offline renders on a 3d modeling package, you should probably switch to real time graphics using a game engine like unity etc. offline renders are pretty much limited to cut scenes these days. and not doing it with the game engine is considered "copping out" or "cheating". As a player, nothing make me feel more ripped off than a game with awesome canned renders that make the actual game engine graphics look like sh*t.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

What kind of critique are you looking for exactly? Do you think there is a problem with the pictures, or do you just want to see if others find some? What is the context of them (See norman barrows answer above)... are these meant as training art, concept art for an actual game, actual ingame footage?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement