Calculate the size for an open world with no instancing?

Started by
21 comments, last by Alexey Makarov 7 years, 5 months ago

It's all about content when I play games. How fun is your content? How much travel time is it worth? Why not just put all your content close together? Wouldn't that be more fun? A big game world might be more fun for you to have, but how is it more fun for the player? WoW, Skyrim and San Andreas have very good answers to these questions, and were highly rated. Fuel, Arkham Knight and No Man's Sky have very weak answers to these questions and were less (or no) fun for it. Zelda would not have been a better game if it were twice as big just like Star Wars wouldn't have been a better movie if it were twice as long.

I ask because I also dream about making a huge game, and I could detail all my ideas and what I've learned about Procedural Generation so far, but I don't want to derail your thread.

The core issue is this: nothing gets around making a fun game. If your content is fun, you can repeat it many times, whether that takes the form of going over a hill to repeat it, or advancing to the next level to repeat it, or starting a new round to repeat it. If your content is not that fun, then the world should be smaller, or your game should have fewer levels or rounds, so that players can finish the game before they get bored.

If your only goal is to have a big game, I'm not sure why anyone will want to actually travel through it.

Advertisement

By "instancing' you mean no multiple server worlds, or no server 'bubble' scenarios, or no respawn of NPC laid out in a minefield across the world) ???

Depends what you are after - realism - massive cooperative interaction - minimizing interference of other players

Various limitation of an MMORPG could force you into some instancing (separate server zones with overlap areas is a flavor like instancing).

If you have a Free-for-All everywhere, that lessens some restrictions.

If you want some semi-realistic economy/ecosystem that is another aspect requiring restrictions

If you have finely crafted mini-scenarios which you dont want interfered with (or worse Griefer-ized) that is another problem.

Im looking at a game design for a closed-in world (interior spaces) where a previously unknown generic manhole cover can lead to someplace interesting (and part of the player's somewhat personalized journey). So INSTANCING there is a fundamental aspect of the game.

Huge worlds Ive seen have been largely "Pretty Deserts" with anything of real interest far and few between. (and then the interesting places often swarming a result of the cattle-ramp fixed mission progression).

Mass slaughter of generic opponents is easy. Lots of individual interesting player experiences are hard. It all depends what you are aiming for (and for any individual goodness, unfortunately Procedural Generation of 'instances' is a most practical tool.

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact
By "instancing' you mean no multiple server worlds, or no server 'bubble' scenarios, or no respawn of NPC laid out in a minefield across the world) ???

I mean just a single in-game world for all players. (not sure what do you mean by "bubble scenarious"...)

So, basically, any single player could meet any other single player;

no shards, no "channels" (as in GW2), no "individual dungeons", no separated "pvp zones", and so on.

It's mostly about exactly pvp-interaction (not just fights, but all kind of social interaction between players). Modern MMO games mostly have single-player experience for a basic gameplay – I don't like this design.

If you have a Free-for-All everywhere, that lessens some restrictions

What do you mean "free-for-all"?

If you want some semi-realistic economy/ecosystem that is another aspect requiring restrictions

Yep, I hope to make a kind of live economy and ecosystem.

If you have finely crafted mini-scenarios which you dont want interfered with (or worse Griefer-ized) that is another problem.

There are planned lot of different quests, but I don't see how it could be an issues in sens of instancing/no instancing.

Huge worlds Ive seen have been largely "Pretty Deserts" with anything of real interest far and few between

Well it's a content issue, I know... Hope to solve it one way or another :)

Mass slaughter of generic opponents is easy. Lots of individual interesting player experiences are hard. It all depends what you are aiming for (and for any individual goodness, unfortunately Procedural Generation of 'instances' is a most practical tool.

Sorry, can't say I understood this sentence...

If your content is not that fun, then the world should be smaller, or your game should have fewer levels or rounds, so that players can finish the game before they get bored.

i beg to differ. if game play is so lackluster as to negatively impact game scope in the hopes of improving things, then you really shouldn't build the game at all. You're building on a flawed core.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

norlin:

sounds like the thing to do is design a scale-able world, so you can add content as needed. Start with "should be big enough" and no bigger. As you create more content, or more players require more content, you can add it. By adding content i mean adding additional sections to the world map.

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

Start with "should be big enough" and no bigger
Yes, it seems reasonable.

If your content is not that fun, then the world should be smaller, or your game should have fewer levels or rounds, so that players can finish the game before they get bored.

i beg to differ. if game play is so lackluster as to negatively impact game scope in the hopes of improving things, then you really shouldn't build the game at all. You're building on a flawed core.

I see what you're getting at, but I'm not sure it's 100% true the way you're saying it. The best game I can make right now probably won't hold up for 60 hours of gameplay, and I can think of some games that have great gameplay, imho, that didn't hold up for 20 hours. Not because it was lackluster, but just simply time investment requires a certain amount of depth to plumb.

If you have a Free-for-All everywhere, that lessens some restrictions

What do you mean "free-for-all"?

Like what you replied ... open to griefing/loot stealing/interference with missions all which can cause serious disruptions of any attempt to choreograph scenes and mini-plots and forcing you into very simple 'mission' goals and actions

There are planned lot of different quests, but I don't see how it could be an issues in sens of instancing/no instancing.

the issue Is : that is one way way (using instances) where other non-designated players are prevented from interfering and constantly making a hash of any planned (choreographed/designed/coordinated) sequence of interaction with npcs/terrain for the Mission the player has been told to do. Otherwise even a small subset of players will constantly be allowed to 'have their fun' disrupting/stealing other players experience and achievements -- and thus much effort of yours to attempt to create interesting situations will be so damaged as to be largely worthless to many players

Huge worlds Ive seen have been largely "Pretty Deserts" with anything of real interest far and few between

Well it's a content issue, I know... Hope to solve it one way or another :)

which is the point that if you want more complex missions (where something unique can exist and it NOT just being the only place where monster X spawns) your 'staged' situations cant be open to be pre triggered/skewed/manipulated into confusion by players who LOOK for just that kind of thing to do to piss off other players.

Sorry, can't say I understood this sentence...

procedural generation offers generated combinatorics and coordinated creations. Its used to mass generate varying situations (it can be made VERY complex and have whole miniplots, goal sequences (and be player customized) , etc... be machine generated for the 100000 people who will ALL go through largely the same places and missions (which in most MMORPGs are wholey staticly defined.

scenario instances there are (can be) created 'on the fly' and potentially anywhere on your terrain map world

even just as bulk filler for the map -- the generation logic is hard to do right but still can be relegated to the 'filler' content around other more complex/ornate/handcrafted mission scenarios (adaquate semi-interesting filler is a major improvement over largely generic spawn minefields most MMORPGs have).

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact
one way (using instances) where other non-designated players are prevented from interfering and constantly making a hash of any planned (choreographed/designed/coordinated) sequence of interaction with npcs/terrain for the Mission the player has been told to do.

This is just making a single-player game inside an MMO lobby, it's not a real MMO (while almost all of modern "mmo" games doing this). I'm going to make a real MMO, where players could always interact between themselves.

And all described issues are not isseus, in fact. It's a part of MMO experience (with correct game design).

forcing you into very simple 'mission' goals and actions

Still don't see any reason why it's forcing to a simple quests. The quests could be as complex as it's required for the game, just they should be designed for a multiplayer game, not for a single game.

The best game I can make right now probably won't hold up for 60 hours of gameplay,

Nothing says a game has to have 60 hours of content. Sure, $1 per hour of content and a $60 price point for a new AAA game are pretty standard, thus the expectation of 60 hours+ gameplay. But that's not written in stone anywhere. And fewer and fewer titles these days deliver on that one hour of gameplay per dollar spent. Either they are small, and deliver less than that, or they are huge, and deliver hundreds or thousands of hours for $60.

and I can think of some games that have great gameplay, imho, that didn't hold up for 20 hours. Not because it was lackluster, but just simply time investment requires a certain amount of depth to plumb.

I don't follow... they were too shallow? IE great gameplay, but not enough of it? At least not enough to want to do it for more than 20 hours?

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement