Sign in to follow this  

Vulkan Make shader keep material properties ?

This topic is 401 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi.

I'm experimenting with Vulkan and wanted to try and build a material system.

In this repo: https://github.com/SaschaWillems/Vulkan in the SceneRendering example, the developer uses push constants to pass the material properties to the shader. (https://github.com/SaschaWillems/Vulkan/blob/master/scenerendering/scenerendering.cpp line 532 at the time I write this)

I was wondering if instead of sending the same material properties every frame even if they didn't change, is it possible to send them to the shader only when they change?

I thought about that because maybe in the future I'll want to display thousands of different models with different materials and I'm not sure if the push constants will keep up.

I hope I'm being understandable.

Thanks!

You don't need to update the push constants if they haven't changed as long as the pipelines are compatible for push constants.

Do bear in mind that you don't get many bytes of push constants to play with, so it's unlikely that all your materials will be able to use push constants exclusively. To be honest, you'd be on more solid ground managing shader uniform blocks instead, then adding push constants later as an optimization.

Relevant quote from the spec.

Two pipeline layouts are defined to be “compatible for push constants” if they were created with identical push constant ranges. Two pipeline layouts are defined to be “compatible for set N” if they were created with matching (the same, or identically defined) descriptor set layouts for sets zero through N, and if they were created with identical push constant ranges.

You don't need to update the push constants if they haven't changed as long as the pipelines are compatible for push constants.
 Oh that's nice! So does it work the same with Uniform Buffers ?

And thanks for answering

This topic is 401 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By hiya83
      Hey, I was wondering if on mobile development (Android mainly but iOS as well if you know of it), if there is a GPUView equivalent for whole system debugging so we can figure out if the CPU/GPU are being pipelined efficiently, if there are bubbles, etc. Also slightly tangent question, but do mobile GPU's have a DMA engine exposed as a dedicated Transfer Queue for Vulkan?
    • By mark_braga
      I am working on a project which needs to share render targets between Vulkan and DirectX12. I have enabled the external memory extension and now allocate the memory for the render targets by adding the VkExportMemoryInfoKHR to the pNext chain of VkMemoryAllocateInfo. Similarly I have added the VkExternalMemoryImageCreateInfo to the pNext chain of VkImageCreateInfo.
      After calling the get win32 handle function, I get some handle pointer which is not null (I assume it is valid).
      VkExternalMemoryImageCreateInfoKHR externalImageInfo = {}; if (gExternalMemoryExtensionKHR) { externalImageInfo.sType = VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_IMAGE_CREATE_INFO_KHR; externalImageInfo.pNext = NULL; externalImageInfo.handleTypes = VK_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_HANDLE_TYPE_OPAQUE_FD_BIT_KHR | VK_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_HANDLE_TYPE_OPAQUE_WIN32_BIT_KHR | VK_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_HANDLE_TYPE_OPAQUE_WIN32_KMT_BIT_KHR | VK_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_HANDLE_TYPE_D3D11_TEXTURE_BIT_KHR | VK_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_HANDLE_TYPE_D3D11_TEXTURE_KMT_BIT_KHR | VK_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_HANDLE_TYPE_D3D12_HEAP_BIT_KHR | VK_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_HANDLE_TYPE_D3D12_RESOURCE_BIT_KH imageCreateInfo.pNext = &externalImageInfo; } vkCreateImage(...); VkExportMemoryAllocateInfoKHR exportInfo = { VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_EXPORT_MEMORY_ALLOCATE_INFO_KHR }; exportInfo.handleTypes = VK_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_HANDLE_TYPE_OPAQUE_FD_BIT_KHR | VK_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_HANDLE_TYPE_OPAQUE_WIN32_BIT_KHR | VK_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_HANDLE_TYPE_OPAQUE_WIN32_KMT_BIT_KHR | VK_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_HANDLE_TYPE_D3D11_TEXTURE_BIT_KHR | VK_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_HANDLE_TYPE_D3D11_TEXTURE_KMT_BIT_KHR | VK_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_HANDLE_TYPE_D3D12_HEAP_BIT_KHR | VK_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_HANDLE_TYPE_D3D12_RESOURCE_BIT_KHR; memoryAllocateInfo.pNext = &exportInfo; vkAllocateMemory(...); VkMemoryGetWin32HandleInfoKHR info = { VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_MEMORY_GET_WIN32_HANDLE_INFO_KHR, NULL }; info.memory = pTexture->GetMemory(); info.handleType = VK_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_HANDLE_TYPE_D3D12_RESOURCE_BIT_KHR; VkResult res = vkGetMemoryWin32HandleKHR(vulkanDevice, &info, &pTexture->pSharedHandle); ASSERT(VK_SUCCESS == res); Now when I try to call OpenSharedHandle from a D3D12 device, it crashes inside nvwgf2umx.dll with the integer division by zero error.
      I am now lost and have no idea what the other handle types do.
      For example: How do we get the D3D12 resource from the VK_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_HANDLE_TYPE_OPAQUE_WIN32_BIT_KHR handle?
      I also found some documentation on this link but it doesn't help much.
      https://javadoc.lwjgl.org/org/lwjgl/vulkan/NVExternalMemoryWin32.html
      This is all assuming the extension works as expected since it has made it to the KHR
    • By dwatt
      I am trying to get vulkan on android working and have run into a big issue. I don't see any validation layers available. I have tried linking their libraries into mine but still no layers. I have tried compiling it into a library of my own but the headers for it are all over the place. Unfortunately , google's examples and tutorials are out of date and don't work for me. Any idea what I have to do to get those layers to work?
    • By mark_braga
      It seems like nobody really knows what is the correct behavior after window minimizes in Vulkan.
      I have looked at most of the examples (Sascha Willems, GPUOpen,...) and all of them crash after the window minimize event with the error VK_ERROR_OUT_OF_DATE either with an assertion during acquire image or after calling present. This is because we have to recreate the swap chain.
      I tried this but then Vulkan expects you to provide a swap chain with extents { 0, 0, 0, 0 }, but now if you try to set the viewport or create new image views with extents { 0, 0, 0, 0 }, Vulkan expects you to provide non-zero values. So now I am confused.
      Should we just do nothing after a window minimize event? No rendering, update, ...?
    • By mellinoe
      Hi all,
      First time poster here, although I've been reading posts here for quite a while. This place has been invaluable for learning graphics programming -- thanks for a great resource!
      Right now, I'm working on a graphics abstraction layer for .NET which supports D3D11, Vulkan, and OpenGL at the moment. I have implemented most of my planned features already, and things are working well. Some remaining features that I am planning are Compute Shaders, and some flavor of read-write shader resources. At the moment, my shaders can just get simple read-only access to a uniform (or constant) buffer, a texture, or a sampler. Unfortunately, I'm having a tough time grasping the distinctions between all of the different kinds of read-write resources that are available. In D3D alone, there seem to be 5 or 6 different kinds of resources with similar but different characteristics. On top of that, I get the impression that some of them are more or less "obsoleted" by the newer kinds, and don't have much of a place in modern code. There seem to be a few pivots:
      The data source/destination (buffer or texture) Read-write or read-only Structured or unstructured (?) Ordered vs unordered (?) These are just my observations based on a lot of MSDN and OpenGL doc reading. For my library, I'm not interested in exposing every possibility to the user -- just trying to find a good "middle-ground" that can be represented cleanly across API's which is good enough for common scenarios.
      Can anyone give a sort of "overview" of the different options, and perhaps compare/contrast the concepts between Direct3D, OpenGL, and Vulkan? I'd also be very interested in hearing how other folks have abstracted these concepts in their libraries.
  • Popular Now