List of strategy games that suitable for Real commanders

Started by
8 comments, last by KB90 7 years, 5 months ago

I want to start developing a strategy game. But First, I'm looking for strategy games that suitable for improving decision of Real Military Commanders in real wars; and Data-approach is more important from graphic & special effects in these game. In other words, I want to find best practices in Command & Control (or C4I) games. Platform of these games can be MS. windows, Linux, android, iOS etc, (graphic of game never mind). I want to find a list from these games and test & play these games for complete my idea for developing new strategy game. anyone can get me a list of these games? any suggestion?

Advertisement
This doesn't appear to be a Writing topic; moving to Game Design.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

You could look at;

"Art of Wargaming", 1990, Peter Perla
"Wargames Handbook, Third Edition: How to Play and Design Commercial and Professional Wargames", 2000, James Dunnigan

"Wargames", 1987, Thomas B Allen

These cover the general history of training wargames and have lots of references out to more specific information.

Maybe the Xcom series. This game combines a base-building and aircraft placement economic and political sim with tactical combat missions where you control a small squad of soldiers, from their loadout to their use of cover and attempts to shoot and/or capture enemy aliens. It's excessively difficult though, or at least Xcom: Enemy Unknown is. It doesn't give you much feedback about how to play better, which an educational game would really need to do.

BTW you can save time researching games by looking at Let's Plays on You Tube to see whether you actually want to play them.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Sudden Strike Forever has always been my favourite "realistic" strategy game (or real-time tactics, if you like). SS4 was announced this year, but I'm half expecting it to be dumbed down a lot...

You could look at;

"Art of Wargaming", 1990, Peter Perla
"Wargames Handbook, Third Edition: How to Play and Design Commercial and Professional Wargames", 2000, James Dunnigan

"Wargames", 1987, Thomas B Allen

These cover the general history of training wargames and have lots of references out to more specific information.

Maybe the Xcom series. This game combines a base-building and aircraft placement economic and political sim with tactical combat missions where you control a small squad of soldiers, from their loadout to their use of cover and attempts to shoot and/or capture enemy aliens. It's excessively difficult though, or at least Xcom: Enemy Unknown is. It doesn't give you much feedback about how to play better, which an educational game would really need to do.

BTW you can save time researching games by looking at Let's Plays on You Tube to see whether you actually want to play them.

Sudden Strike Forever has always been my favourite "realistic" strategy game (or real-time tactics, if you like). SS4 was announced this year, but I'm half expecting it to be dumbed down a lot...

special thanks guys! I will Test all suggestion games...

I've never played it (too daunting/expensive), but I believe CMANO is used for training/simulation in the military.

Various militaries publish some of their wargaming material (especially after FOIA requests), for example here's extremely detailed descriptions of made up nations the US uses for some wargames, here's a set of rules for a tabletop game.

Step 1: Go to war

Step 2: Survive a war

Step 3: Become a commander

Step 4: Design you game.

There are 100 of hidden variables associated with the job of being a commander in the military. Try to interview real commanders and the people who follow them to see what those variables are. This way the game will be as real as it gets.

Step 1: Go to war

Step 2: Survive a war

Step 3: Become a commander

Step 4: Design you game.

There are 100 of hidden variables associated with the job of being a commander in the military. Try to interview real commanders and the people who follow them to see what those variables are. This way the game will be as real as it gets.

Step 1: Enlist

Step 2: work way up ranks to commander

Step 3: Go to War

Step 4: survive War as commander

Optional, but recommended Step: Win war

Step 5: design your game.

Except of course, promotions are easier during wartime, so really you'd have to survive multiple wars.

A less jokey answer is Harpoon, or maybe this one? As much as I like Xcom, it is not a game suitable for 'real command'. For lower level tactics, maybe Full Spectrum Warrior. Though that's fairly old, the ArMA series might work better.

Hearts of Iron IV anyone?
Here real soldier plays that game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement