Sign in to follow this  

Unity Need help with a Random Number Generator in Unity C#

This topic is 402 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings and Salutations!

I am hard at work on a mobile game project for IOS and have come to a crucial portion of development. The procedurally generated levels. My code is functional at the moment but it seems no matter what I try, I cannot get the Level layouts to vary from stage to stage. Ideally I would seed the RNG with the build index number(or another variable that varies stage to stage but is unique to each stage.) I want each stage's layout to appear random upon first encounter, and be the same each time the stage is entered. Below is the code I am using.  I am new to RNGs and am in my first year of programming, so definitely a novice. I have read up a bit about seeding, cryptographic RNG and various other techniques but everything I find online is outdated information that no longer works or at least I cannot get it to work in the current version of unity. Oh and as the title says I am using C#. Thank you for your help!

public GameObject asteroid10hp;
    public GameObject asteroid20hp;
    public GameObject asteroid30hp;

public int chance10hp;
    public int chance20hp;
    public int chance30hp;

private GameObject chosenGameObject;

void Start()

{
        n = UnityEngine.Random.Range(1, 100);
    }
void SpawnUntilFull()
    {

Transform freePosition = NextFreePosition();
        if (freePosition)
        { 

MoveRandomly();
            RandomAngleGen();
            if (n <= chance30hp) { chosenGameObject = asteroid30hp; }
            else if (n <= chance20hp) { chosenGameObject = asteroid20hp; }
            else if (n <= chance10hp) { chosenGameObject = asteroid10hp; }
                if (n <= spawnChance)
                {
                    LevelManager.breakableCount += 1;
                    GameObject destructible = Instantiate(chosenGameObject, (freePosition.position + moved), Quaternion.Euler(0, 0, angle)) as GameObject;
                    destructible.transform.parent = freePosition;
                }

if (NextFreePosition())
            {
                Invoke("SpawnUntilFull", spawnDelay);
            }
        }
    }
       Transform NextFreePosition()
        {
            foreach (Transform childPositionGameObject in transform)
            {

if ((childPositionGameObject.childCount == 0) & (!childPositionGameObject.CompareTag("Attempted")))
                {
                    childPositionGameObject.tag = "Attempted";
                    return childPositionGameObject;
                }
            }
            return null;
        }

I don't know very much about Unity, but I came across some difficulties with random numbers in C# too. Sometimes it generates the same numbers because you create a ton of random numbers during the same millisecond (with time-dependent random generators), or because you use the same seed over and over again, which leads to the same list of numbers.

When do you invoke Start()? When you start the game or when you start the level?

Edited by fedeTibaldo

Probably UnityEngine.Random needs seeding with the system time at the start of the game. It might be seeding to a default value which is the same every execution. (The docs are surprisingly vague about this.)

Probably UnityEngine.Random needs seeding with the system time at the start of the game. It might be seeding to a default value which is the same every execution. (The docs are surprisingly vague about this.)

This is my confusion. The docs seem to suggest that it seeds it to the system time but I am getting the same level layout at every level no matter when I load the levels. So it clearly is not doing that in the editor.Thank you, I will see if I can get it seeded with system time.(I'll be back if I can't figure it out)

I wonder if it's something silly like it using the Editor's start time, as opposed to the time at which you hit Play in the editor.  I'd see if setting it yourself somewhere manually would be enough.

There's a seeding function: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Random.InitState.html

Maybe I'm not understanding the question?

From the documentation it somewhat implies that it already does this:  Random.InitState(startupTime) as a default somewhere*.  But it doesn't appear to be so, at least according to the OP.  I haven't tested it myself.

Even the documentation is kind of hazy: 

The seed is normally set from some arbitrary value like the system clock before the random number functions are used. 

Well I tried seeding with the following code:

//Trying to seed with system time
        float timeF = Time.realtimeSinceStartup;
        int timeI = (int)timeF;
        UnityEngine.Random.InitState(timeI);

and I am still running it during Start() and it has no effect on the results. It is as if the seed is always the same no matter whether I try to seed it or not. I start the game, and move between levels and every level has the same pattern every time.

Time.realtimeSinceStartup will be zero at the start of every playthrough - the hint is in the name.

You want to seed it with real world time, which will be different every time you run the game - something like System.Datetime.UtcNow.Ticks.

Time.realtimeSinceStartup will be zero at the start of every playthrough - the hint is in the name.

You want to seed it with real world time, which will be different every time you run the game - something like System.Datetime.UtcNow.Ticks.

Well the tooltip for Time.realtimeSinceStartup says time in second since game start, should mean since the application was started, not the scene was loaded. Which is its current implementation to my knowledge. I read it very carefully actually. Thank you, I will try that.

So I tried to seed with System.DateTime.UtcNow.Ticks and it does not work. I think I have stumbled onto the problem. I have my spawn chance set to 100. That can't be right. Since n cannot be greater than 100 given the random functions I am using, it should be filling every space in the level with objects. It is not, its only filling about half of them. What is going on? I have figured out that with my current code, if I put 30 or less in for the spawnChance only 1 object spawns. Same place, every time. If I put 31 or higher I get the same 15 spawns in the same places every time. This mystery is driving me nuts! What is wrong with my code? It is not the RNG I think. It's the code structure. Or perhaps both.

It is not, its only filling about half of them.

You have an error in the selection/getting of free positions. You are tagging the game objects as attempted in cases where you shouldn't.

You have 2 calls to NextFreePosition. 1 of the calls is just to check if there is a free position, and the other is actually using that position.

In the first case, the game object should not be tagged as attempted.

I would suggest moving the tagging line to where the game object is actually attempted to spawn (inside the if (freePosition) conditional).

EDIT: That is...

if (freePosition)
{
    childPositionGameObject.tag = "Attempted"; //MOVED TO HERE
    //...other stuff here
}
{
    foreach Transform childPositionGameObject in transform
    {
        if ((childPositionGameObject.childCount == 0) & (!childPositionGameObject.CompareTag("Attempted")))
        {
            //childPositionGameObject.tag = "Attempted"; //REMOVED FROM HERE
        }
    }
    return null;
}
Edited by Lactose!

Thank you Lactose! that is definitely helpful, and it was indeed an error. Thank you. Now when I set the spawnchance variable to 100, everything spawns as it should. However, the RNG problem from my last post does persist. 30 and below spawn 1 object, 31 and above spawn all. Same problem as before really. Some other error is being missed. Thanks for your help everyone.

There are 30 spots in the level for objects. I just realized that, I doubt that is a coincidence.

The other big bug in your original code is that you only actually ask for a single random number to assign to 'n'.

This, but I'm curious what is in the functions "RandomAngleGen" and "MoveRandomly"? Post the code to those. Those two functions are affected by the random number generator and are responsible for generating the level. What is going on inside them? I suspect that the error, at least in part, might be in one of those functions.

I actually eliminated those functions from the problem already by testing without them. They seem to work well actually. They have their own baked in RNG. They rotate the objects, and also move the objects randomly just a bit to create a more organic nature feel to the levels. Here is the updated code in total:

void Start()
    {
        ResetTags();
        SpawnUntilFull();
        RNG();
    }

void SpawnUntilFull()
    {

Transform freePosition = NextFreePosition();
        if (freePosition)
        {
            freePosition.tag = "Attempted";
            MoveRandomly();
            RandomAngleGen();
            ChooseRandomly();
                if (n <= spawnChance)
                {
                    LevelManager.breakableCount += 1;
                    GameObject destructible = Instantiate(chosenGameObject, (freePosition.position + moved), Quaternion.Euler(0, 0, angle)) as GameObject;
                    destructible.transform.parent = freePosition;
                }

if (NextFreePosition())
            {
                Invoke("SpawnUntilFull", spawnDelay);
            }
        }
    }
        void RNG()
    {
        float timeF = System.DateTime.UtcNow.Ticks;
        int timeI = (int)timeF;
        UnityEngine.Random.InitState(timeI);
        n = UnityEngine.Random.Range(1, 101);
    }
        void ChooseRandomly()
    {

if (n <= chance30hp) { chosenGameObject = asteroid30hp; }
        else if (n <= chance20hp) { chosenGameObject = asteroid20hp; }
        else if (n <= chance10hp) { chosenGameObject = asteroid10hp; }
    }
        void MoveRandomly()
        {
            float x = UnityEngine.Random.Range(-.4f, .4f);
            float y = UnityEngine.Random.Range(-.4f, .4f);
            moved = new Vector3(x, y, 0);
        }
        void RandomAngleGen()
    {
            angle = UnityEngine.Random.Range(0, 181);
        }

{
            {

{
                }
            }
            return null;
        }

void OnDrawGizmos()
    {
        Gizmos.DrawWireCube(transform.position, new Vector3(width, height));
    }
    void ResetTags()
        {
            {
                childPositionGameObject.tag = "Untagged";
            }
        }

}

I created the RNG() function and only called it once because after my initial research that was something people mentioned as potentially causing the problem. Should I build in a fresh call in every loop of the main function?

Initialise/seed the random number generator (in this case, UnityEngine.Random.InitState) exactly once. Ideally at the start of the program.

Ask the random number generator for a new value every time you need one.

Here, you have the Random.InitState and the Random.Range in the same RNG function, so it won't work. You end up basically just asking it for the system time whenever you call it.

And you still only ever set 'n' once so the outcome of ChooseRandomly is predetermined, and chosenGameObject will always be the same.

Incredible! Its working perfectly. I have a splash screen where I create objects that are used throughout the game so I stuck a RNG initializing script onto that scene and I ask for a new number from RNG every time during the loop. It works like a charm! Thank you everyone for your help. This thread is done, please close it!

This thread is done, please close it!

GDNet does not generally close threads.

Others reading this might still have questions, comments or suggestions -- closing threads would shut down the possibility of continuing the discussion even if the thread starter has achieved the results they want.

This topic is 402 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.